Advice with an Amazon deal

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by citycm, Apr 26, 2009.

1. citycm macrumors newbie

I sold an item on the Amazon.co.uk Marketplace 8 days ago and now the buyer has emailed me saying he wants a refund simply because he didn't realise it was used and thought it was new.

Do I have to give the buyer a refund or can I refuse because it's his mistake?

2. cciliberto33 macrumors regular

As long as you put "Used Item" you can refuse him all you want, if you didn't put it as "Used" then you should refund him.

3. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

It was listed as 'Used - As New'

4. cciliberto33 macrumors regular

Then it was his/her fault and refuse the refund. Was it anything expensive you sold or was it cheap

5. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

It was an iPhone 3G. If he complains to Amazon, would they force me to refund?

6. cciliberto33 macrumors regular

Depends on the conditions and the person who handles the case, if the buyer does bring it up just say you listed as used and it was the buyers responsibility to read the information about the product

7. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

The buyer has now filed an A to Z Guarantee Claim stating the cable has a 'live wire' showing which it doesn't (in the first instance it would just be shielding) and saiying the phone has a small defect on the screen (which it doesn't, it actually has a screen protector on and the 'defect' is a bubble in that).

What would you advise I do?

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Did you take pictures before you shipped it? They can help back up your postition. Whenever I have sold anything online I always take many detailed pictures of every item being sent. The packing steps taken, for each layer of product packed. The sealed box with address label.

Either way I would fight it. Be aware though you could lose especially without backup pictures, and the buyer could send back a purposefully damaged iPhone. Turning this into a drawn out fight with Amazon.

Also since you sold "used - as new" if there were any scratches or wear marks at all you may have to take it back. As that would only qualify for Excellent condition or "used - minor wear".