advice with buying and apple purchase validation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TekGuy, Dec 4, 2014.

1. TekGuy, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

TekGuy macrumors member

Hello,

Thinking of rebuying the Macbook Pro Retina 15". I'm in UK, I can buy from a seller who has great feedback selling several of them but am slightly confused.

I'm in the UK, the model available is the UK model which I want (MGXC2B/A), is brand new and sealed, if I buy will Apple require proof of purchase? it seems they do from the information I gathered. Seller said he can provide a non vat receipt if required. Would apple accept a non vat receipt as proof of purchase?? as it's brand new and sealed would I even need to prove when purchased?? as it obviously hasn't been opened and used previously as seller said they are brand new, apple factory sealed.

I'm worried that even though brand new and sealed apple will either refuse to register it or tell me something like the 1 year warranty has to go from an earlier date when seller originally bought/got them before selling on to customers??

I will be buying applecare protection to but want to ensure about the above first as would be tamping if I lost xx days/weeks/months on 1 year warranty if it goes from when seller originally bought them.

Could anyone please explain as finding it confusing.

Thanks
    Mat

2. TekGuy thread starter macrumors member

3. jw74 macrumors member

Unless he is an authorized Apple reseller, the most you can hope for is that he can verify the purchase date with Apple.
    I'm in the US, but I assume this goes for the UK too.

I recently bought from an authorized reseller (a big store that carries Macs, not an Apple store or some guy on the internet).
    I had to submit a copy of my receipt(from an authorized Apple reseller) to verify the purchase date.

If you can get the serial number you can see if it has been registered here:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Prior to submitting the receipt, no date came up when I checked it. Not even the date it was shipped to the store. But it recognized the computer and knew the model.

Also, if he isn't a reseller, but has registered the purchase date, I think he would need to transfer it to your name so you can get Applecare/warranty benefits.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure.

4. TekGuy thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have bought from Apple store today and currently typing this on it :)

5. jw74 macrumors member

6. TekGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I did get it for £1839 (£161 saving) as they did a price match with store near them and other store had it for £1839 so Apple price matched it, plus I've bought warranty online from a trusted seller and saved £100 on that two, just waiting for it to come next week. :D

7. jw74 macrumors member

Always more enjoyable when you get a deal. Congrats! Enjoy.

8. TekGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. The guy in the Apple store said he did not know local stores near the Apple store was selling them and selling them £161 cheaper. I didn't mind as it meant buying it directly from Apple store for same price :)