Advice with Macbook Protection Plan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rosn, Oct 5, 2014.

1. rosn macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I got this macbook pro 13 retina mid 14 model like a month ago. got liquid spilled and didn't charged and nothing so sent to best buy's geeksquad but end up with nothing at all. I had my laptop back and had it in my car even after receiving 2 days earlier. Just checked and it's working just fine now...feeling lucky son of a gun but i'm worried if logic board get into some another issue again. So I was thinking to get square trade plans or something? Will they accept my laptop? do i have to be worried? is there anything better I can do to stay in safe side? thanks in advance

2. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

what kind of liquid spill on the mbp? water or something with sugar in it? If its water you can toss the laptop in a bag of rice. the rice will suck out the moisture

3. rosn thread starter macrumors newbie

It was beer actually..it got spilled like 10 days ago and wasn't working at all. Sent to geeksquad. They called me n said it will cost 2000$ + to repair logic board alone. I received it like 2 days ago. Just checked it and it's working just fine NOW. I am concerned if it will show some damage in future. So if i would get a protection plan or something?

4. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

You are still in the window period for Applecare but I don't think you can get the BBY warranty if they logged the current problem in the computer. But if anyone else can chime in and correct me if I am wrong if you did have problems with the laptop sometime in the future and Apple senses liquid damage from xx amount of months ago they might not warranty it? Just be glad it wasn't soda.

5. rosn thread starter macrumors newbie

so will applecare cover anything concerned with motherboard damage in the future because the reason I'm looking to get insurance plan is to cover any potential logic board issue in the future?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare will not cover any damage from accidents, spills, etc. If the moisture sensors show contact with liquid, AppleCare is void.

7. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Not entirely sure I don't know how much spilled and if theres going to be residue stains on the logicboard for them to tell that something actually spilled on it.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter if there are residue stains. The MBP has sensors that will show if it has come in contact with liquid of any kind.

9. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Thanks for the heads up!

----------

i guess you can open it up and clean up as much of the liquid as possible or just toss it in rice for a day

10. rosn thread starter macrumors newbie

so whats the best decision for me? Just to let my mbp live as long as it can? or some insurance plan if any? or whatever loophole if u know that I can take advantage of?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One option may be to take it to Apple and let them inspect it. If the sensors don't show contact with liquid, you may still be able to buy AppleCare. Otherwise, you could look around for some protection plan that would cover it. Be aware that when a spill occurs, the problems caused by the spill may not appear until sometime later. So while it may be running fine now, problems could surface down the road.

12. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

or you can sell the laptop take a little loss and buy another one.

13. rosn, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

rosn thread starter macrumors newbie

If I offer it in craiglist mentioning the liquid damage history, it might get the price down to road. If not, won't the buyer know about the history eventually with serial number and warranty?

----------

I called them and they asked me to visit them; it's gonna cost me $200 to get it checked and cleaned. I guess I will do that this week as a last resort. Thanks for your advice!

14. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

[/COLOR]

I called them and they asked me to visit them; it's gonna cost me $200 to get it checked and cleaned. I guess I will do that this week as a last resort. Thanks for your advice![/QUOTE]

Nice if you do go with that choice maybe you can just pay for Applecare to be safe

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

So either hide the liquid spill history or take a big loss? Another reason not to buy on CL I guess...

OP the damage has already been done, presumable BBY saw some sort of issue to quote for the logic board (or were they just working on the history you gave them?) any warranty or Applecare you buy now will rely on you not disclosing the history, and may well come out later if you claimed anyway if the spill sensors have been activated.

Asking Applecare to strip, clean and inspect would seem to indicate a problem even if the sensors haven't been activated, you may still get a problem with a future claim.

Essentially you are trying to insure against an event that has already happened, that is insurance fraud in most jurisdictions, hence insurers have protocol's to try and detect it.

16. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

well I am not telling him to tell lies. If Apple told you to bring it in for a diagnostic for $200 they will find out anyways. If he does decide to pay the $200 he should ask if he can still get Applecare who knows they might give it to him. Just remember you have like 2days to do all this or you will be opt out of the Applecare service.

17. rosn thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I told Apple already and that's why they mentioned about this extra charge of 200$ since liquid damage won't be covered in warrenty. That's just for checkin my laptop and to clean it up. Also, applecare won't include spill coverage so makes no difference to me as I'm concerned with potential damages in the future related to logic board.

P.S: my laptop wasn't showing camera other day,,.kept in car backseat since yesterday and camera is working fine now! I guess car heat is doing all the thing to get the remaining liquid off the board. IF cleaned with 99% isopropyl alcohol, will it completely eliminate the future risk?

18. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I don't think anything can completely remove that risk now....