Advice with Migration alternatives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikejtl, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mikejtl macrumors member

I'm about to get a new mac and while i could just use migration assistant, I'm concerned that then I'll just be bring over all the junk thats bogging down my current system.

I'm happy to drag my personal stuff (docs, media, books marks etc.) manually, but that never seems to work with apps. So my questions are:

1. Is there a way to bring over apps and have them fully installed without using migration assistant, and without using the install disc?

2. Is there an alternative to migration assistant that offers more control over what you bring over?

3. Is there a way to create a disc image for installations purposes from an app thats on your system, a way to do that for non programmer like me, that is?

Any advice is most appreciated.

thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For #1 and #2 try CarbonCopyCloner. It will create a bootable clone of your hard drive that you can use to copy back to a newly installed drive in your machine. You can also select what you want to transfer over, but you do need an external drive to go this route.

3. jpma macrumors regular

i don't think carbon copy or superduper is a good option when you cloning to a different type of mac.

specially old macbook to a new macbook.
    i think there's some hardware difference that the clone might not even bootup.
    time machine maybe be a better option.
    I'm not sure any difference between TM & migration methods.
    But i tried with the migration method before and found out my networking profiles are not carry over.

4. mikejtl thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking the same thing. I'll be going from a power pc running tiger to a new mbp so I would worry that cloning will bring over my whole os. Plus since I'm running tiger I can t try the time machine option.

Can anyone reccomend what files tend to jink things up? Is it just preferences or other stuff too?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Humm, probably a good idea, especially going from Tiger/PPC to Leopard/Intel.

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a