Advice...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soop53, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

While I am waiting....and waiting....and waiting for a confirmed ship on my Mac Pro, I would like to ask which would be better:

Since I only have $400 left from my budget (use to be $600 but I had to use $200 for counseling to overcome the grinding of my teeth with this waiting and shipping mess)...

1. Do I use it on ordering more ram like 4x2 gs
    or
    2. A couple hard drives.

I have three old hard drives I could use from my self-built PC that is dead, but they are two old 180gb SATA150 Maxtors and 1 160gb IDE Seagate.

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Apply the $400 to the RAM. It costs about $430 or so, last time I checked, but this would be the most viable 1st Priority option to increase the performance of your Mac Pro. The MP comes with a decent hard drive now, so save up for the HD's.

3. Brianna macrumors regular

I think it depends on how much software you have, how much space you need, and what you do with your computer. Which do you think you need the most? Will you run out of room with what you ordered? Do you render animated 3D movies? There are variables that come into play when making a "one or the other" decision. ;)

4. Soop53 thread starter macrumors regular

Soop53

Ya know, the minute I hit the submit button I realized I would need to clarify it. I do not have a lot to store right off. I will be doing some photo editing, web designing, some publishing for now. Things will definitely heat up as I move into other areas like movie rendering. Eventually, I will need both...but trying to figure out which for now.

5. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

:p Hope that was a joke and if not, er, sorry, but as with most people here I'd suggest going for extra RAM now and saving up for Harddrives later on as you will get more immediate use out of RAM modules then you would out of, say, a currently superfluous 500Gb of storage.

6. Soop53 thread starter macrumors regular

Soop53

Yes...it was a joke...and thanks to all for the advice. Lets see OWC right?

7. Coruscater macrumors newbie

8. awad macrumors member

i do only photo editing, and i spent around 400 on 4 more gigs of ram and a 750gb drive. works well for me now.

9. mashny macrumors regular

I do tons of Photoshop, occasionally editing color 8 x 10s. With just a few layers, the Photoshop file can easily be more than a gig. For something like this, more RAM is absolutely essential. Yeah, Photoshop uses virtual memory, but that is sooo much slower. I just bought a Mac Pro and spent $429 at OWC for an additional 8GB of RAM. I got more hard drive space as well, but if it came down to a choice, I'd have chosen the RAM in a second.