• Upgrade is an upgrade doesn't matter.

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

ParaShot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
Hey. I love taking advices from this forum because I think everyone sees everything through my eyes :D

So my question is I have a 7 plus right now. But eventually I want to change it. From what we heard about the leaks and they will probably be true, It's gonna be same design with hideous 3 cameras and nothing more? So I will be in Germany for this summer where's an iPhone cost less than my country. But I don't think I'll be here enough to get new ones in the September. So if I wait I'll pay more to new ones in Turkey.

Do you really think Leakes are gonna be accurate again ? Because as much as I want to newest phone possible I don't like the design I don't think there's gonna be huge difference between XS and possible XI.

What do y'all thinking?

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Well, I just picked up a sealed Xs from eBay for £300 discount and couldn't be happier. My old 6s took a rather bad tumble and thought an upgrade was better value in the long run, rather than repairing.

Reactions: ParaShot

ParaShot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
Well, I just picked up a sealed Xs from eBay for £300 discount and couldn't be happier. My old 6s took a rather bad tumble and thought an upgrade was better value in the long run, rather than repairing.
That's what I think but I'll ask them if my 7 plus gets me any discount for trade in. It's in good shape but the battery is not good. So if they accept it for a trade in I want to upgrade too.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
Hey, I just upgraded from a 6s to a 8 and I'm happy as can be. Loved the 6s but battery had gone south on me and I was due for an upgrade with my carrier. I just hated to give up the home button and touch ID.

Reactions: mk313

internetrando

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Hey, I just upgraded from a 6s to a 8 and I'm happy as can be. Loved the 6s but battery had gone south on me and I was due for an upgrade with my carrier. I just hated to give up the home button and touch ID.
The 8 is a really good phone. It should serve you well for a couple of years (at a minimum). It is powerful enough that you shouldn't have any software issues for the next few years either.

ParaShot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
My worry is if it’s to worth XS now. Is it worth it. Is it that good? I want to buy it asap but this makes me stop :D

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
My worry is if it’s to worth XS now. Is it worth it. Is it that good? I want to buy it asap but this makes me stop :D
I adore my Xs and if you can get it for a good price you’ll be over the moon.

That being said, if you can wait until October the Xs will be discounted further...

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
The first 2 answers are true. Yes now its bad and yes wait.

If u wont like the 11 u can still buy the xs even cheaper after September release

Last edited:
Reactions: alpi123

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
XS is Okay in my opinion but not that fantastic . Telephoto lenses kinda works but not that great. Everything else is the same as iPhone X except the processor.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
At this junction, there’s no doubt the ‘triple lens camera’ will be a reality this coming fall, the exact orientation might be slightly different from what we have seen from renders/leaks. But it’s not a ‘bad choice’ to purchase the iPhone XS now, is it still highly relevant and a fairly significant upgrade over your iPhone 7 Plus. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to pick up the XS, even if the iPhone 11 were to launch tomorrow.

ParaShot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
At this junction, there’s no doubt the ‘triple lens camera’ will be a reality this coming fall, the exact orientation might be slightly different from what we have seen from renders/leaks. But it’s not a ‘bad choice’ to purchase the iPhone XS now, is it still highly relevant and a fairly significant upgrade over your iPhone 7 Plus. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to pick up the XS, even if the iPhone 11 were to launch tomorrow.
That's what I wanted hear. Thank you sir.

Reactions: Relentless Power

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Anything other than XS Max would in my view be a significant downgrade from a 7 plus. I mean, the XS is tiny.

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008

I just got an XS Max. Apple gave a $450 trade-in for my X. Good deal in my opinion.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
It’s got a bigger screen than the 7 Plus, but much easier in the hand. What’s not to like?
Significantly smaller screen... screen width is everything. You know what happens when viewing a picture in vertical mode? Just a little extra width makes the total image much much larger. Try to compare X vs 7 plus.

Crazy how the inch metric confuses. Screen area should be the metric.

Reactions: alpi123

ParaShot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
After all the excitement that I had, there was an issue about Tax Free so that I couldn't buy the phone. With that I think I need to wait at least middle of September to solve that issue. Now that being said I'm thinking why would I buy XS just before new one release :/. I have to wait until then and probably will wait for the new one. If that still looks like the same as leaks maybe I can find a cheaper deal to buy the XS Max. :(

Thanks everyone for their comments and thoughts.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Significantly smaller screen... screen width is everything. You know what happens when viewing a picture in vertical mode? Just a little extra width makes the total image much much larger. Try to compare X vs 7 plus.

Crazy how the inch metric confuses. Screen area should be the metric.
To each his own. I personally much prefer the size of the Xs to the Plus sized iPhones, but that's probably why Apple sells both.

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
I think simply saying wait or buy misses something. One has to look at trade-in offer as well, if applicable.

On Friday, I picked up an SX Max. I traded in my X. I received a $450 credit. I doubt if I would have gotten as good a trade-in had I waited until release of the new phones. Moreover, the price for the new phone might be higher and my total cost after trade, might be higher had I waited.

Again, buy or waiting, can be more nuanced.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Anything other than XS Max would in my view be a significant downgrade from a 7 plus. I mean, the XS is tiny.
The OP would definitely notice the reduction in screen size coming from a Plus device - but there are a lot of people who previously bought the Plus devices for the camera advantage without necessarily wanting the hefty size of the device. Anybody with a Plus device who wants a more manageable form factor is likely to find the XS to be a considerable upgrade. I certainly did.

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
The OP would definitely notice the reduction in screen size coming from a Plus device - but there are a lot of people who previously bought the Plus devices for the camera advantage without necessarily wanting the hefty size of the device. Anybody with a Plus device who wants a more manageable form factor is likely to find the XS to be a considerable upgrade. I certainly did.

I went from a plus to a an X and then to an XS Max.