Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Hi there,

I’m writing in on behalf of a friend who just got an aluminum Series 3. Sadly last night the watch’s screen got an edge to edge crack. This was during indoor rock climbing and it looks like the angle was just really bad (corner) I didn’t notice watching that there was a lot of force to cause this.

The watch was purchased from BestBuy - any advise in getting this fixed hopefully for free? Anyone have experience with trying to get this solved?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi there,

I’m writing in on behalf of a friend who just got an aluminum Series 3. Sadly last night the watch’s screen got an edge to edge crack. This was during indoor rock climbing and it looks like the angle was just really bad (corner) I didn’t notice watching that there was a lot of force to cause this.

The watch was purchased from BestBuy - any advise in getting this fixed hopefully for free? Anyone have experience with trying to get this solved?

User impact damage would not be covered under the warranty. Only way you could get it replaced is if you find a very generous Best Buy employee. I doubt that will happen. Sorry for your friends loss.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Ugh - that’s what I thought :( - one thought I had was calling AppleCare to try to get the watch onto the monthly installments of AppleCare and using that repair price and cancelling AppleCare after the watch got repaired?

brentc133

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Ugh - that’s what I thought :( - one thought I had was calling AppleCare to try to get the watch onto the monthly installments of AppleCare and using that repair price and cancelling AppleCare after the watch got repaired?

Isn’t that kinda like fraud?
[doublepost=1540564831][/doublepost]

If they purchased using a major credit card the card may offer 30-60 day protection against accidental damage. This would be the better way to go.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
[doublepost=1540564831][/doublepost]

If they purchased using a major credit card the card may offer 30-60 day protection against accidental damage. This would be the better way to go.

Also it wouldn't pass the online AppleCare test - it will detect a broken screen. And yes, it is fraud and one of the reasons AppleCare is now £89 up from £59...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
It’s a shame Apple hasn’t figured out how to engineer these in a more repair friendly way - the repair cost is nearly the same as buying a brand new device my understanding is they just scrap the watches and can’t really repair them - even for a battery replacement that fee is just as high - $400 battery replacement for a series 4 stainless!

Reactions: BillGates1969

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Maybe you can wear a watch ding top rope climbing... but if you lead its way to easy to swing against a wall when climbing overhang or scraping along a wall when losing grip. In my eyes that's way to dangerous for a watch.
But I hope your friend gets his watch repaired without much hassle.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I can’t say I agree with your mindset here. Essentially what you’re trying to do is cover up the broken display by adding And then removing the service. The reality is, the display is broken, AppleCare has to be purchased at a time or within 60 days of the Apple Watch, _not_ trying to create a workaround, which in the end, isn’t really moral, but I’m guessing you Artie know that.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Hi there,

I feel your pain, but some things you just don't do with an expensive Apple Watch strapped to your wrist, and rock climbing is one of them.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I feel your pain, but some things you just don't do with an expensive Apple Watch strapped to your wrist, and rock climbing is one of them.
Yea the story I was told right after was I saw in the ad all of those people swimming and other active things and the owner was surprised that a very casual 60 seconds rock climbing did it - on an easy course with as I was watching seemingly no reason it should of hit anything.

Disneymom2003

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2015
This is why I always get AppleCare. A small price to pay if something goes wrong. My husband cracked the screen on his Fossil watch. Not sure how. Accidents...even freak accidents can and do happen. Calling to get AppleCare now and then cancelling is just wrong.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Yea the story I was told right after was I saw in the ad all of those people swimming and other active things and the owner was surprised that a very casual 60 seconds rock climbing did it - on an easy course with as I was watching seemingly no reason it should of hit anything.
These artificial climbing holds and the wall paint are made of PU and sand and scratch almost everything without you even notice. I really dislike factory new climbing holds As they are closer to sandpaper than rock.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I just purchased AppleCare+ for my AW4 that I have had for about 3 days.

No diagnostic was required.

As far as fraud?

Whatever floats your boat, but Apple does give you 60 days to purchase it. If Apple were soooo worried about people committing "fraud" they wouldn't even allow it to be purchased beyond the purchase date. Everyone has their own prerogative on the subject but I don't judge it either way. Fact is, you still pay for replacements partially after paying XX amount of money, up front or monthly. Now if you just paid the $3.99 for the first month and made a claim and got your watch replaced and cancelled AC+ the day after, ya that would be a little cheesy. At least pay Apple the full price for the privilege of letting you use AC+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.