Advise for battery care

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by colours, Jul 21, 2008.

1. colours macrumors newbie

hey everyone. I'm rather new to the mac world and this forum as i just got my first macbook couple of months ago and I'm very happy with my purchase. But I'm wondering if leaving the battery on while its already charged 100% going to greatly affect the battery life or performace in anyway. I've read somewhere that apple has designed it in a way so that the battery should be left inside while in use and there's no harm leaving it in the macbook. As I know that macbooks uses standard Li-ion batteries, some of my friends advise me to remove the battery when using it for a long period time.

Wikipedia:"When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed,[35] and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life

"Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)" -

So what's the best way to take care of a macbook battery as I use it for school and at home?

Thanks in advance.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

One thing I like to practice is let my battery run all the way down then charge. Suppose to help the battery life.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Normally this is good advice but MacBooks, when using the MagSafe connector really need to have a battery in the machine. If you use a MacBook on mains without a battery then the processor is cut-back to 1GHz speed. Not really good news...

Just leave the battery in the machine but let it run down regularly