Advise for Graphic art/web design.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by T-Keith, Jul 22, 2009.

1. T-Keith macrumors newbie

My Stepmother is looking to buy a new computer and I'm looking to help her find the best deal. I've never looked at Macs too much, so I need some help.

She is a graphic artist that is going back to school for web design and she wants a computer she can use for school. Currently their computer is an old pentium III HP that I set up for them with Ubuntu, so they need something more powerful. I don't want them to spend any more then they have to.

From what I can tell nothing in web design should require a fast graphics card, and even graphic artist stuff doesn't seem to benefit from one either. I'm thinking the cheapest Imac with the 9400M would be good enough, and it's a lot more money to upgrade to the better card $700. Do you think this would be good enough?

thanks,
    -T

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Off course it would be. If she already has an monitor, than you can look for Mac minis too. Just upgrade the RAM to 2 GB (or more) and this will be more than she needs.

3. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

web design is not really using the GPU and graphic design will use the CPU and GPU (slightly) for rendering things. The base mini with 2/4gig of ram will be fine.

4. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Another vote for the current gen Mac mini. Following the latest upgrade, they are now (again) the best bang-for-your-buck Mac available. Essentially, exactly the same as the current gen whitebook.

5. T-Keith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips guys. She doesn't have a usb keyboard or dvi monitor, so we'd have to get those anyway. By the time we add $100-150 for the monitor, $50-100 for a keyboard, and $100 for more RAM, I wonder if the IMAC is a better deal since you get all that plus a better processor, and a cleaner easier setup.

-T

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Monitors can be had for $120 from Best Buy.

Here's a $30 mouse and keyboard combo off of new egg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126174

Memory, if you want to do it yourself, isn't much either.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Since she doesn't have a keyboard or monitor, the iMac is the better choice.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Someone who does graphic work shouldnt have some cheap bottom of the line monitor, thats crazy. Its the most important part of the whole setup. It doesnt have to be top of the line either but it needs a good resolution and be good enough to show accurate colors.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant