Advise on Blu-Ray/streaming content/everything else...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Jan 23, 2011.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i am finally going to make the jump to blu-ray, but i can not decide on what type of player to get. My friend says PS3, as it can also play games and is upgradeable. I want a stand alone player because they are cheaper, use less power, and are less likely to break (as his ps3 and many of our friend's xbox's have failed). Requirements of my whole set up would be to play blu-ray movies, i would like to stream content from home network, and maybe netflix or something along those lines. Now, i know blu-ray players don't do network streaming, but the Western Digital WDTV was highly recommended by many of my friends. That device can stream .mkv's, .avi's music photos and just about anything else. My thoughts behind the whole deal is i save the 100 to 150 bucks by geting a stand alone player, spend that on the WDTV, and have everything i want.

Anyone want to shed some light on my decision/any specific suggestions as far as blu-ray players go. I have looked at the Sony S570, and think that is a decent player between the CNET reviews and the customer reviews.

Thanks in advance.

2. Zerozal macrumors 6502

After reading many reviews, I went with the Sony S570. I've only had it for about a month, but so far, so good. It connects effortlessly to my home network and is capable of streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. Load time on Blu-Ray discs is very good, and it's capable of upgrading its firmware over the network. No complaints and if I had to choose again, I'd make the same decision.

tl;dr: Get the Sony S570.