Advise on first car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techlover828, Nov 16, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Hey, got my license in September and am finally getting around to getting a car. So, originally my dad was going to just buy me a car, but because our house hasn't sold and not a lot of extra cash right now (not to say by any means we're strapped for money). Anyway, I'm not going to start making the payments and paying for insurance. So am looking for a car, here's the general guidlines, please post if you have any in mind.

• Between $9k-$12k
    • Can't be too small (aka: no gti's :()
    • No american cars (they break)
    • Currently looking at a V6 4Motion Passat GLX Wagon, so something comparable to that.

BTW: before anyone tries, no flaming please. I'm not spoiled, I'm paying for it. And also no advise on how to better spend my money, just car recommendations please.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well id opt for a older car, at least 10 years old thats not classifeied as a sport car if you want to save on any insurance

for instance i got my first car back in 2001 and it was a 1990 celica gts

i still have it to this day as my sole car and its been great. i love the cheap insurance on an soon to be 19 year old car and the registrations fees of only like 20 dollars a year

however, i want my next car to be either a toyota tacoma or a suburu wrx

lol your notion that american cars break is naive.....

maybe a used evo lancer? i know it went against my guidelines but it would be cool to have for sure and you can find them used in that price range

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

used Scion tC.

you thinking a used or new? if new- Kia anything pretty much..but they suck.

4. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

definitely used. Like 03 or so. dukebound, I just don't trust them, but I agree with the fact that an old car is better, not 10 years old, but ~5

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i love lexus is300 and similar cars. used ones are in that price range too i would think

6. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

How about a V6 Accord? A friend of mine has one and after riding in a different friend's TSX, it is feels quite similar. Obviously, not as refined or with all the extras but I believe the Accord has something like 240 HP.

As for quality, I've personally seen some American cars with over 150k on them that run very well and some Japanese cars that have had problems early on. While I think Japanese cars are better quality, American cars aren't as bad as people make them out to be. IMO, they are just bland.

7. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

good thought, but there aren't any IS's under $20k in 100 miles from me.

8. Saganomics macrumors newbie

A used Honda Civic/Accord is what I would purchase in your position.

Price range would get you a very clean one with only a couple years on it.
    It is also easy to find one that was driven by some grandma or commuter and has light usage.

It might not be as cool as a VW, but will last forever and probably save you a lot of money in maintenance.
    Our old '01 Jetta Wolfsburg was the most unreliable car imaginable.

If you look for a used Evo/WRX in that price range, you're going to find something that some teenager ran into the ground and now wants to sell. Or a salvage title.

Just my opinion.

9. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

my dad won't let me get anything that you would consider a sports car just because I'm inexperienced. So WRX (would love one) and GTI (would love one) and similar are out. Civic is too small, I play lacrosse and ski so it's not practical. Also, my dad wants me to have something bigger for safty purposes. Thanks for the help so far.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you are buying it and paying insurance, why would he care?

with that said, if you go on your own policy, you may not be able to drive certain cars due to your age

for instance, my brother bought a eclipse gsx and he HAS to be on my dads insurance plan and not listed as a primary driver on it. otherwise he wouldnt have been able to insure it

are you looking along lines of an suv then? i really like 4runners and wish i had them when i go skiing over my fwd celica lol

suburu outbacks would be nice to with the awd and storage room for boards or gear and the like

11. Saganomics macrumors newbie

I see. Maybe a used Tacoma? Might be a bit more for insurance, but the Prerunner editions are pretty big. It would also be nice to throw skis/gear in the back. I find myself wishing I didn't have to clean off my snowboard before throwing it in my hatchback. Just avoid any 4WD truck for insurance cost purposes.

12. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

no trucks. 4runner would be good, but they're expensive, too expensive I think, but I'll look.

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well if you need more room, why not get the Mazda3 5-door. The hatch should give you a little more room. Or maybe even the Saturn Astra XE. Sure, it's an American car, but the car and motor are European designed and built. Plus, the MSRP is lower than that of the 3 so naturally you should be able to find a used one in your price range without too many miles on it.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You could get a Honda Accord. its big and stuff.

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Infiniti G20.

A 2001 Sport Edition.

Can't suggest it enough :)

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well to solve your problem of a small car. GET A ROUGH RACK. It solves so many problems. I drive a Senta who's back seat does not fold down. So that limits some of my options. I can get a mountain bike in the back seat and that is waht I did while I was in school. Now I own a rough rack and put it up there. With some other attachments I could carry skis, Snow board, Surf board or anything else up there. It gets around the small car problem.

As for limited room on a civic the seat folds down. I have seen my brother put his surf board in the back of a civic it was quite impressive wiht his friends civic having 2 surf boards in it.

Do not under estimate the size. And the Safety argument is BS argument. Since a vast majority of accidents are not that bad and the few where size would of made a different are very few and far between. Chances are you will never be involved in one of those. The cars are designed to be very safe.

As for the no American cars argument. That is just plain ignorance. Now I would consider one because they are cheaper but at the same time does not mean you have to get one.

17. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

get something with a warranty if possible. If something breaks they fix it at no charge. Also no matter how much you want a sports car don't get one for your first car, and get an automatic. I had a sports car, with a manny, and a truck ith a manny around the same time....yes I had two cars lol. Well mannys are fun, still wish I had one, but if you drink no one can drive you home cuz no one can drive stick these days! Also, driving stick drunk is complicated, your constantly thinking ok clutch, shift, gas, eyes on road, clutch shift gas, woops watching the shifter and not the road CURB! lol personal experience haha. anyways get something you like and can see yourself driving for a long while, you dont want a new car in college....wont really drive it much!

18. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

An older Honda or Toyota if you are staying away from American Cars.

19. mariov macrumors member

The Passat is a very good car. I had a VW golf and loved it. And 4Motion is a great thing to have. It is a very safe car also, and roomy.

20. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

Yes, good reading skills.

Ya, most likely I'll go with that, it really is a great car for the money.

21. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Chrysler 300C! You should be able to find a good used one in that price range, and they look like a million bucks!

Plenty powerful too!

22. S Brake macrumors regular

The passat will break down much more than any American car and the repair bills will be insane. I cant stress enough that you shouldn't get a german car for your first. If it were me, I would look into an impreza, protege 5, or something similar.

23. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Let me get this straight. You don't want an American vehicle because they are unreliable, but you think a VW is??? You need to open up a copy of Consumer Reports my friend... :rolleyes:

Three VWs and an Audi have been lemoned where I work. One of my good friends has a Passat and it is a reliability nightmare. There is always some sort of electrical failure that the dealers can't diagnose and if they do it costs a fortune...

If you want a larger sedan get a Accord with the J30 V6. It will perform better than the Passat minus the 4Motion and it will without a doubt be more reliable and be worth more when you go to sell it.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean safer. Subarus are some of the safest cars on the road, and most of them are no bigger than larger companies' mid-size offerings.
    I'll also recommend a Civic or Accord (not the V6, since you're new. 240HP can get you in quite a bit of trouble, and 160 from the I4 will be fine) if you're dead set on no American cars. You could also find a 02-04 Subaru 2.5RS (basically the base model Impreza for those years) which will be just about as reliable as a Honda, and quite safe.