Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Hello,

My wife and I are looking into purchasing an iMac for our daughter. We came across this and it seems like a good deal. Our daughter prefers the matte screen and the price works for us. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

iMac G5 iSight $664

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Excellent unit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Very powerful for basic needs, and even moderate needs, and looks great too!

Video chats are becoming extremely popular. An iSight G5 iMac is a great choice for value plus functionality.

Herrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks, I thought it looked like a good buy. Now I have to convince our daughter that this will serve her purpose. She really wants a PB 17 or MBP 17, but I know that it will end up parked on a desk.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
I would love to have that. I dont know why but I have always wanted a g5, maybe because I wanted one for so many years. But yea for that price I dont think you could go wrong. The only other option in that price range would maybe be a refurb macbook if she was hell bent on getting a laptop.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Hello,

My wife and I are looking into purchasing an iMac for our daughter. We came across this and it seems like a good deal. Our daughter prefers the matte screen and the price works for us. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

iMac G5 iSight $664

Keep in mind that its only single core and Intels run circles around it in terms of CPU (and GPU) power.

For that price its not worth it, really. If it was 20" it would be ok, but not for 17". I suggest you search for 17" or 20" Core Duo iMacs. They look exactly the same, have matte screens too, but will last you a lot longer. Even Apple is dropping PPC support with its latest OS.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Hello,

iMac G5 iSight $664

An Intel iMac would be the better way to go. An extra core, much better performance, compatibility with Snow Leopard and future Mac OS X revisions too.

Herrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Is it true that the iMac G5 can run OS 9? She is saying that she needs OS 9 for a school project..not really sure?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Is it true that the iMac G5 can run OS 9? She is saying that she needs OS 9 for a school project..not really sure?

It can only run Classic environment. Last Macs that could boot natively into OS 9 were 2002 and some 2003 models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.