Advise on .mdb on OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winty03, May 29, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

I need some advise/options on running Microsoft Access on my mbp. I have done some reading and sounds like its impossible to run an .mdb on OS X. So what are my options? The option I have thought of and or looked into was to install Parallels and then install XP and run Microsoft access through that avenue. Is that my only option to run .mdb’s on OS X? Thanks

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

that or parallels, either way you need windows xp/vista.

i ran it on xp through parallels fine, but bootcamp is free, so you may not need OSX while your doing it...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest getting Parallels and Windows XP if you want the easiest option to run Office 2007. I noticed you have 4 GB of RAM as well on your laptop. Allocate 1 GB to Parallels and Office will run wonderfully.

If you're on a budget then Windows runs just fine after running the Boot Camp Assistant as well.

4. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys for the replies..i wasn't big on boot camp having to partition and have to reboot just to run access. I just wanted to be able to run access..even though a bit more $$. But sounds good. I have run virtual machines on my pc ....and that seems kinda buggy...does it run pretty smooth? Also is there a how to get windows xp and office 07 installed? or pretty straight forward?

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

parallels and vmware are butter with office/xp. no troubles here.

I like parallels interface better, but its always gonna be a debate (parallels vs vmware). Personally, try them both out, i did, and couldnt stand vmware.

6. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for the advise I think I am going to spring from paralells and 07 office

7. bigfatdummy macrumors newbie

bigfatdummy

I believe you can demo both before you buy them. It would certainly be worth your time to do so. Pick the one you like the best.

8. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, ya I just installed Parallels and Office Pro 2007 seemed to be working, only issue I sometimes seem to have is that when i close a window it hangs a bit. Say I close out of access the window will stay there..maybe half of it will disappear but other parts of it hang for maybe 20 30 secs. Any ideas, I have it set up for 1gb memory and 30gb hard drive. I need to learn the layout of 07 versus 03..but seems to be what I need or what. Is there any difference between the 2007 Office Professional Acedemic and Standard? I found the full version acedemic for 180$. Buy or not?

9. bigfatdummy macrumors newbie

bigfatdummy

Well, if you are using the software for business use, then you should use the correct verison to be in compliance. Now having said that, the base programs are the same. However, professional usually gives you more programs within the office package. If you are thinking of an Office suite, then Professional or above, (ultimate, Professional Plus, Enterprise) are the only suites that include access. Educational version does not include Access. If you are buying only MS Access then I can't find anything to say they are not the same. I purchased several educational versions of MS products and it has always been the same product, (Word is word, excel is excel, etc.).

Here is a link so you can see what each office package includes.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/FX101635841033.aspx

10. Kaupa macrumors regular

You could try Crossover which you wouldnt even need a Windows license for...