advise on pad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tkmcguire1, Jul 31, 2011.

1. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I have a 32gb black pad 2,I haven't had it to long,I am using it as my main computer,I don,t have any other computer right now,thing is I am having problems doing everything I need to do,I had a mackbook air before this but I sold it and got the pad 2,I am wondering if I should sell it and get a refurbished macbook or mba,I can,t afford to keep it and get a laptop too.I really love it but it gets frustrating when at times,I can only do some things on a computer and don,t have one,some good advise would help.Thanks

2. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

what is it that you need a computer for ? why not a 13" MBP ?

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think that there are a number of threads throughout the forums strongly recommending that people do not try and replace a computer with the iPad. You probably should have read those before dumping the mba :(

But, no use crying over spilt milk! The iPad does a whole lot of stuff, but it works best in conjunction with a computer. In my case, I suppose I get about 90% of my work done with the iPad, but it is that thorny 10% or so that the iPad cannot do. I am using the MBP today for that reason.

Perhaps if you told us more about your problems we could help you out, but I think you'll probably be better off with a computer if you have such a tight budget that you cannot afford two devices.

4. macrat macrumors regular

It's hard to comment on your dilemma without knowing your requirements and current priorities.

Can you hold on till the iOS 5 is launched in September? Maybe there's something there that might negate your need for a laptop? Just guessing that there will be a proliferation of awesome apps that would extend yet the usefulness of the iPad.

You may not get anymore than $500 for your iPad 2 so if I were you I would just save up even $400 only and buy an old Macbook (not the Pro or unibody versions). I have a 2006 black Macbook w/ Lion OS and still works like a charm. A little slow but who cares. I still have my iPad 2.

This way you can still keep your beautiful iPad 2 and enjoy the latest technology.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

good point. i have a netbook i used with my ipad, and it worked wonderfully. i wanted something faster, so moved up to the mbp, but there is no reason i couldn't have continued with the netbook. i am selling mine for 150 or so (excellent condition). i bet you could pick up a nice one in good to excellent condition at that price wherever you are as well. that way you could continue enjoying the iPad. Like I said, about 90 percent of my work is easily done on the iPad. You might find the same thing to be true.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Well, not quite. It's certainly true that the iPad processes efficiently and predictably. On the other hand, a number of apps available for systems with faster processors are either (a) not available at all for the iPad or (b) reduced function versions.

For example, one can purchase a full version of Microsoft Office for Apple computers. Not so for the iPad. And even Apple's own applications (e.g. Garage Band, Pages, Numbers, Keynote) are significantly reduced in functionality for the iPad. I doubt very seriously that this situation will change with the introduction of the iPad 3.

There is no "universal device." But laptops still come much closer to that ideal than tablets.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

are you replying to the right thread?

i'm not really sure what relevance the faster processor and camera have to do with the OP's problem nor did any of the other posts bring that up.