Advise on purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geoff., Apr 21, 2010.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

The iphone recently came out on Vodafone here in ireland.

The prepay costs are are follows

iPhone3G - 8GB - 416 Euro
    iPhone3GS - 16GB - 516 Euro
    iPhone3GS - 32GB - 609 Euro

I want to get a iPhone and im looking at the iPhone 3G 8GB because of costs. My parents will be paying and i highly doubt il be aloud get a 3GS.

Should i wait for the update in june? Like i highly doubt the new iPhone will be cheaper lol. Can i just upgrade the iPhone3G to iPhone OS 4.0? Or is the iPhone3G just outdated and i shouldn't buy? i Really want one :rolleyes:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. ZenoVT macrumors regular

wait wait wait! Maybe the release of the new iPhone will drive current prices of the 3G and 3GS down... who knows, you might see a $99 3GS 16GB

4. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I dont know if i will be able to wait :p

It will maybe the end of july or more for it to be released in ireland :(

I might try convince my parents to get me a 16GB iPhone 3GS but i don't know

5. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Wait or get a 3GS but avoid getting a 3G at any cost!!! It is slow and almost 2 years old now!

6. superspartan macrumors member

If you're looking for the absolute cheapest option, try to find a used 3G in good condition. The used market prices (at least in the US) have declined significantly.

If you've decided to go new, follow the advise of others and get a 3GS or wait for the next gen. The speed bump in the 3GS is very noticeable and you'll get all the features of OS 4 (i.e. multitasking!)

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

hey geoff, have a look over at avforums.com uk based forum people put their second hand iPhones up for sale on there regularly so you could try and get a 3Gs on their for about 400 euros

8. matttye macrumors 601

Advice: don't get an iPhone. Get one of the latest and greatest HTC phones instead.

9. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Wait or get a 3GS. You'll be kicking yourself that you didn't spend the extra hundred bucks in a few months.

10. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Im from ireland :p Uk uses pounds.

11. bfehrman macrumors newbie

Hold off

The 3g won't run all of the features on OS 4.0. Wait for a 3GS or whatever comes out this summer. No use buying a cool new toy that won't run the cool new software.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Given the way the exchange rate has gone we might well be happy with Euros soon :p

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

If iPhone 3GS just became available in Ireland, I doubt the new 4.0 will be available this summer for you. So perhaps try digging in the timetable of the 3G and 3GS release for Ireland compare to US, and make a call.

If the period between US release and Ireland is 1 year, which means you won't see the next iPhone until next summer...then buying a 3GS is clearly not a bad decision.

However, I would steer away from 3G because it is almost 2 years since it was introduced and that's a long time in the tech world.

14. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Thanks for all the advise. the cheapest 3GS is 516 euro and thats a bit too expensive for a phone i think, i dont know what decision to make i was just going to the 3G but since everyone is saying it is a bad idea im not so sure now

15. -Leigh- macrumors regular

The iPhone just became available there, because Vodafone only just decided to have it. Now they have it, the new iPhone will be out there, the same time as the rest of the world.

But if you can't afford the 3GS now, you won't be able to afford the new one, as it won't be any cheaper.

I wouldn't bother getting a 3G either. Save up between now and July and you might be able to afford the new one.

16. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Good news my dad is due an upgrade and hes entitled to a free vodafone iPhone 3GS. So im getting that tomorrow i think and im using that until the new iPhone comes out and then my mam is taking the 3GS and im getting a iPhone 4/HD or whatever it will be called.. Good or what :D