Advise on Setting up new Monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dukey, May 21, 2012.

1. Dukey macrumors member

Hi there,

So I just got my new 21.5" IPS monitor that I'm going to connect my MBP as an extended desktop and I was wondering how to get started on this thing. Not sure if the resolution is set properly, the fonts a lil fuzzy, things look way clearer on my MBP than on the monitor. At the moment I can't really find a way to adjust the resolution, all I see is certain modes (scenery, standard, theater, game, night view and sRGB) and when I go into info it says VGA 1440x900 56KHz 60Hz VS229H. Also looking for the best way to Calibrate this thing. I was wondering if you guys had any advise, thanks.

Monitor is
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

The specs on Newegg say it's 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution, so you should set that. You can just go through System Preferences -> Display, and you'll get a display settings window on each screen which control each monitor.

If you can, you should connect to the monitor with DVI or HDMI (digital signal) rather than VGA (analog).

3. mBox, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

mBox macrumors 68020

You can do a basic calibration using FCP Color Bars.
    Did you buy this to use as desktop or for ref?
    Judging the res it can do, its not much for desktop and best as a ref monitor.

4. Dukey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies

I bought it to use as a extended desktop so that I can watch shows/movies while doing work. Also I bought an IPS for photo and video work as well. Would you suggest using it as a reference monitor?

Also how do you calibrate it using FCP colors?

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I would not, because unless you're using something like an Intensity Extreme, it will not necessarily be an accurate reference for color.

I'm not sure how easy it would be with yours, but generally with broadcast monitors, you put up bars, flip the monitor to blue gun, and adjust the phase and chroma to get the bars to match. Here's a much more specific guide.

6. Dukey thread starter macrumors member