Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarE66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
I've been out of the OS loop since Snow Leopard, I'm in need of advise for upgrading and transferring old data. Hope ??'s make sense, I'm not a power user. Ultimately concerned act "losing" some existing data/docs.
Old iMac 21.5": Late 2009, 10,1 - 3 GHZ, 4 GB Ram original hardware/sata drive 500GB with OS 10.6.8: also includes data transfer from older iMac 2004. Current used GB 145.
New iMac 27": Early 2019, 5K, 3GHZ i5, 8GB Ram, 500GB SSD - OS Mojave.

Questions: old Mac my primary concerns relate to old software, that I still use.
1) Which OS do I need to update to, for the migration?
2. What to do about old Software applications - specifically, the following;
2.b). Power PC / Classic: can I delete those or 'ignore for transfer', I don't need them.
2.c). "Universal" No 64 Bit: A few I hope to update with newer os on old iMac pre-transfer.
2.d) "universal" Yes 64 Bit: Lots, will these work with OS upgrade before & after transfer?

I am aware of roaring apps compatibility, is that accurate-is?

3. I also have old raw DV media data 20GB (imported via IDVD 2004) from converted-to-dvtape home movies I do not want to lose. (Currently stored on ESD). Including a 20 min. movie made from those via iMovie 2004, which includes a few .wav files & MS realplayer clips.
Will I be able to store the DV data on new iMac? will the iMove work with update to OS? My Preference is store on external HD bcz large GB size of data. I have backups.

4.) Photos & Music: what do I need to know about these for both os update & ultimate new Mac transfer? Majority of music is ripped cd's + handful of iTunes purchase.

5.) I assume ? majority of daily use/important document software; apple & MS office documents packages will (apple) or can be updated once I upgrade OS on old Mac?

Later, I'll ask about Mojave to Catalina issues:).

Thanks so much, appreciate any advise.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is the new iMac already set up, with a "new account"?
Or... is it "on the way"...?

That's a very important distinction, and it determines what you do next.

MarE66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
Is the new iMac already set up, with a "new account"?
Or... is it "on the way"...?

That's a very important distinction, and it determines what you do next.
[automerge]1580572965[/automerge]
New Imac is set up, with new account.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"New Imac is set up, with new account."

Then, don't use migration assistant -- if you do, you'll end up with TWO accounts, possibly with the same or similar names, and LOTS of permissions problems if you try to move stuff between them.

You probably should have migrated at the moment you booted the new iMac for the first time, but it's too late now.

If you want to "bring stuff over" from the old Mac to the new one, and put that into THE SAME ACCOUNT as already exists on the new Mac, then do this:

What you'll need:
- An external hard drive
- CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are FREE to download and use for 30 days).

What to do:
- Use CCC to create a cloned backup of the OLD Mac on the external drive.
- Connect the cloned backup to the NEW Mac and let the icon show up on the desktop
- Click ONE TIME on the drive icon to select it, then summon up the "get info" box for it (command-i)
- At the bottom of get info, click the lock and enter your NEW MAC's password
- Put a check into "ignore ownership on this volume" (sharing and permissions)
- Close get info

What to do next:
You can now copy items from the drive into your NEW account, and anything copied will "fall under the ownership" of the NEW account. That is, no permissions problems.

IMPORTANT:
You CANNOT COPY the "top level" folders in your old account. That is to say, you cannot copy the folders named "movies", "music", "pictures", etc.
HOWEVER ...
You CAN COPY the things (and folders) that are INSIDE OF these folders.
That means you could copy the iTunes music folder over, your iPhoto library, etc.

You can copy older applications, but be aware that some may not run under the new OS. They may need upgrades or replacements.

Best of luck.

MarE66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
"New Imac is set up, with new account."

Then, don't use migration assistant -- if you do, you'll end up with TWO accounts, possibly with the same or similar names, and LOTS of permissions problems if you try to move stuff between them.

You probably should have migrated at the moment you booted the new iMac for the first time, but it's too late now.

If you want to "bring stuff over" from the old Mac to the new one, and put that into THE SAME ACCOUNT as already exists on the new Mac, then do this:

What you'll need:
- An external hard drive
- CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are FREE to download and use for 30 days).

What to do:
- Use CCC to create a cloned backup of the OLD Mac on the external drive.
- Connect the cloned backup to the NEW Mac and let the icon show up on the desktop
- Click ONE TIME on the drive icon to select it, then summon up the "get info" box for it (command-i)
- At the bottom of get info, click the lock and enter your NEW MAC's password
- Put a check into "ignore ownership on this volume" (sharing and permissions)
- Close get info

What to do next:
You can now copy items from the drive into your NEW account, and anything copied will "fall under the ownership" of the NEW account. That is, no permissions problems.

IMPORTANT:
You CANNOT COPY the "top level" folders in your old account. That is to say, you cannot copy the folders named "movies", "music", "pictures", etc.
HOWEVER ...
That means you could copy the iTunes music folder over, your iPhoto library, etc.

You can copy older applications, but be aware that some may not run under the new OS. They may need upgrades or replacements.

Best of luck.

OY:oops:, OK..Thank you! More questions for my clarification. Basically I have to "hand pick" copy EVERYTHING (I want) into the new mac?

I take it then, it will not 'help' me in this process you outlined to bother to update the old imac OS 10.6.8; is that correct?

Is it advisable to run a "clean my mac" type program before cloning? Is there one you'd recommend?

Once I've followed your steps, working from the cloned backup drive:
As quoted below: Are you referring to old account Top Level folders shown in my "Home" or "HD"? I'm confused as to what to do/copy, from the sub-Library folders. My relative ignorance of data in the libraries make me nervous.

I do understand copying subfolders from Pics, Movies, Photo,iTunes etc.
I want to be sure I'm copying from the 'right' highest level "top folders" location.

"IMPORTANT:
HOWEVER ...
That means you could copy the iTunes music folder over, your iPhoto library, etc."

Lots for me to think about, Fisherman! I'll need a bit-O-luck.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
DON'T use "clean my mac". It may do more harm than good.

For an old OS like 10.6.8, you need an older version of CCC to create the cloned backup. Get it from this page:
I believe you want CCC version 3.5.7.

The folders you CANNOT copy are in your Users folder.
They are the "top level" folders you first see when you open your User folder, named:
documents
downloads
library
movies
music
pictures

You can't copy these because they are "more than" just folders -- they are (at least they used to be) "symbolic links".

However...
Once you OPEN THESE FOLDERS, you can now copy stuff that's inside them.
This includes other folders that are inside.

For example, you could open the pictures folder, and then copy "loose items" inside it to your new Mac.

BE AWARE:
Photos (new version) may run into glitches trying to import pics from an old iPhoto library. You might try running Photos and seeing if it can "import" from the external drive (without copying those into the new home folder).

Don't expect to get this "manual migration" done quickly.
Do it a little at a time.
For instance, spend a day getting your music "moved over". Then, "call it a day".
Then come back and work on pictures later, etc.

Be "selective" -- you can probably "leave behind" almost as much as you move over. It will still be on the cloned backup, in any case.

Having the cloned backup is "your key" -- it is an exact copy of the internal drive on the OLD iMac.

MarE66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2020
Understood. I noted CCC no longer supports S. Leopard, thx for answering that question w/Link.

Can you recommend an External HD for this single purpose, compatible with Snow Leopard /CCC version?
Or "specs" I need to look for, given the task.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just about any drive will do.
USB3 (backward compatible with older Mac).
How large is the drive on the OLD iMac?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Whatever you do DON’T transfer network settings because it could have changed slightly over the years! The largest files are pictures, video files, music and especially video!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.