Advise regarding Pro DVD/Blu-ray Authoring

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sachinwalia, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sachinwalia macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am planning to start a company for professional DVD / Blu-ray authoring. In the beginning it'll be a one man shop. I need an advise regarding the software required apart from the design tools like photoshop, After Effects etc.

I understand apple ships DVD Studio Pro as well for DVD authoring and Compressor for composing media files. Are there any better software that doesn't make a huge whole in the pocket.

Any one knows about professional Blu-ray authoring for Mac?

Any help will be highly appreciated. I am open to spend couple grand for the right software(s).

thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For the Blu-ray authoring going PC is the far superior option right now. Unless Encore in CS5 on the Mac is vastly improved you are basically limited to making Blu-Rays that just have a "play" button on them and nothing else.

Lethal

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

4. sachinwalia thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys. DotStudio does look promising. Sony although looks very good seems very expensive (when was Sony cheaper anyway!). Will check it out.

@@LethalWolfe -- wondering if you know how Encore (PC version) stands up against DotStudio or similar tools.

thanks.

5. smokescreen76 macrumors member

If you want to make professional DVD's and BluRays then you need professional software and hardware.

Sonic Scenarist is the industry standard. A Scenarist setup can cost $35 000.

But then you'll need to know how to use it and a bit of knowledge about the intracacies of compression, GOP structures and VBR encoding.

However you'll also find that a lot of DVD creation is about graphic design. To create a good menu you need a really good eye for design. A good knowledge of Photoshop and After Effects is essential too.

6. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Encore isn't too bad. I've been burning BDs on the mac side since CS4 and it's worked and looked good.

That said, I don't really do crazy menus, since the BDs are mainly for screenings at Drexel University hosted film festivals. The cool thing about Encore is the deep connection with the entire adobe suite. You can make menus in photoshop using Encore's syntax for menu buttons, and it works. And supposedly you can do the same with After Effects, but i've never ventured that far.

The Dostudio recomendation came from Walter Biscardi's blog