Adware/malware question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yeoboy, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Yeoboy, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

Yeoboy macrumors newbie

My second hand Imac came with a number of applications installed, i use AdwareMedic which was recommended and it found no malware,Is it possible i might need to try another,I had something that said i had multiple infections in my iMac, Im kind of used to Windows but am a new on macs.

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Best off wiping it clean and not installing any of that rubbish - so long as you install applications from known sources and not torrents you'll be fine.

3. Yeoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    Hi, I edited my post as i realised it was not CleanMyMac that so called detected rogue files, Something came up whilst i was online suggesting i needed the application,i ignored it as i avoid the places that can give problems.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

You don't really need any anti-virus software on a Mac. Nevertheless, it is advisable to practice safe computing.
    I have two applications on my Mac: AdwareMedic and ClamXav. Just to be on the safe side.
    Another good idea is to have AdBlock for Safari to avoid pop-ups with such malicious software like MacKeeper and CleanMyMac.

Food for thought: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-is-mac-keeper-app.1380905/

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

What you saw was what I'd call a "malicious pop-up" - there's no infection at all. It's a scam web page disguised to look like a system warning and is also designed to be hard to close/dismiss (there's nearly always a toll-free number to call).

These can nearly always dealt with by: Force-quit Safari, then hold down the Shift key while re-opening Safari.

You may also want/need to go to Safari > Preferences: Clear history and website data.

Under normal circumstances, Safari (and other Mac apps) are constantly auto-saving, so that after a crash it will usually come right back to the same place. Most of the time that's a nice feature, but these pop-ups take advantage of it (they'll come right back after a restart). When you hold the Shift key while opening a Mac app, you're instructing OS X to "forget saved state" - to open with a clean slate.

6. Yeoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes,It was MacKeeper that became a nuisance,I am grateful for the advise regarding adware/malware and anti virus matters,Thank you all.