AE Cs3 and the RAM

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MBX, Aug 2, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi

Anyone know if After Effects CS3 (8.0.2) still has no way of recognizing more than 3GB of RAM?

I've got 16Gigs and it's really disappointing to see that AE can't use more than 3. I'm really baffled at Adobe still not having issued an update for this reason.

Any ideas?

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Most applications are 32 bit, and the adobe suite is no exception. Final cut is too. Leopard may be 64 bit and harness more than 3 gigs of ram, but the apps can't. CS4 for windows will be 64 bit, but not the mac suite.

3. MasterCarlo macrumors newbie

AE Cs3 and the RAM

Actually AE CS3 in one of the few programs that will use a lot more than 3Gb of Ram, as long as you have more than one processor. You see, it has a limit of 3Gb of RAM per process, so if you enable multiprocessing each process will use up to 3Gb of RAM. I do have one recomendation to avoid crashes, in AE CS3 lower the maximun memory usage from the default of 120% to 100%, that will ensure a lot more system stability.

Hope this helped :)

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I'm pretty sure that enabling multiprocessing will only effect things in the render que... for normal RAM previews, it'll still be stuck at 3GB.