AE ethernet extended AE only 100mbit?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KasperH, May 11, 2013.

1. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Hi,

I have a wierd issue with my two Airport Extremes (both 5th gen. v.7.6.3)

AE1's WAN port is connected to my Gigabit network switch, a HP Procurve 1810-24G v2 and is in "Brigde mode" because i have a real firewall.

Wifi transfers from my server caps at 23MB's to my HP laptop (184 megabit) which is the limit of this particular laptop tested on other Wifi networks.

So far so good.

AE2's WAN port is connected to AE1's LAN port1 directly via a 20m Cat5e cable. The network is extended via Ethernet and not wifi (confirmed), and the router is in "Bridge mode".

Wifi transfers on the extended AE2 is only 12MB's (96 megabit) which would indicate that it's somehow being downgraded to 100 megabit as if it were a Airport Express and not an Extreme.

Am i doing something wrong here?

Help is greatly appreciated.

- Kasper

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

Does anyone know if it possibe to see what link speed the AE's have autodetected between themselves?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Read this...

http://www.computerwiz.com/apple-computer-news/apple-airport-extreme-gigabit-ethernet-hands-on-review/

As I said its the patch cable.

Ps the only way check the speed is via file transfers and checking the speed manually.

5. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

I changed the cable to a higher quality Belkin 5e, and voila, it worked :)

The old cable worked fine transfering 112MB/s directly though, so the AE REALLY is picky about cables :eek::apple:

Thanks Gav2k :)

6. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

It is not the AE that is picky, the same cable on any device would have the same constraint, you need to check the cable is correct the correct one - there are differences.

7. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

As i said, the cable was able to transfer with full gigabit speed between my laptop and server through my HP Procurve switch at a solid 112MB/s.