AE extending 5ghz network using 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bwrairen, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I have a 2nd gen Extreme base (non dual band). I currently have it running in 2.4ghz mode because of my iPhone. A friend has offered to give me an Express that he was using to extend his network. My thought was that maybe I could set the AEBS to broadcast in 5ghz, then use the AE to extend it running in 2.4ghz mode. That way, my computers could take advantage of the faster connection by connecting to the AEBS, and my iphone could connect to the AE. Couldn't find anything on the net about anyone using this configuration, which leads me to believe that it probably isn't possible....but I figured I'd ask here before I gave up on the idea completely.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Express is not capable of simultaneous bands.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you don't need your wireless network extended, what you could do is set your Extreme to broadcast a 5 GHz network and connect the Express to one of the Extreme's LAN ports and broadcast a 2.4 GHz network. You would turn DHCP off on the Express to make it act as a wireless access point. This effectively gives you simultaneous dual band.

You cannot extend a 5 GHz band using a 2.4 GHz device. The Express would not be able to join the network created by the Extreme to extend it to begin with.

4. bwrairen thread starter macrumors 6502

This is pretty much what I figured. I was hoping to extend, but I can just use it to broadcast another network. Thanks guys.