AE or AEBS as Bridge Dilemna...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wild-Bill, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Hi. Looking for some advice on whether to purchase an Airport Express or an AEBS for bridging Wireless-N in my apartment.

Currently I run a mac pro via gigabit ethernet to a D-Link DGL-4300 wireless-G router. My Powerbook is wireless-G and connects wirelessly. I also have an ipod Touch which is obviously G. I just recently purchased an AppleTV to get some HD and iTunes streaming in the bedroom, so the AppleTV is not located near the D-Link where I could connect it via ethernet.

So I need Wireless-N in order to stream content to the AppleTV. I also need to maintain a wireless-G network for both the Powerbook and the iPod Touch.

I was considering buying a new router that did simultaneous G and N but it would be an awful waste of what's otherwise a great existing G router.

So my question is, should I get an Airport Express and run it in Bridge mode to provide wireless-N connectivity to the AppleTV and any other follow-on N products I may purchase, or should I go with the AEBS which would come with a USB port for an external hard drive?

Your thoughts?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U get more bang for yoru buck with the Extreme router I think.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

How many wireless N clients will be connecting? The Express can only handle 10 clients, while the Extreme will handle 50. And also, you mentioned a USB connected hard drive. If you do see yourself using that in the future and you want more than 10 clients on the N band, then the choice is obvious. Go with the Extreme. Otherwise the Express is more than sufficient I believe.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

i have the same setup: Linsys router serving G, express serving N, and it works great.

Unless you see yourself wanting to add a hard drive, go for the express.

Plus with the express, you can plug speakers in, and have music from those speakers, your :apple:TV, and whichever computer you are running iTunes from, all in sync. And controlled from your iPod Touch.

I don't have an :apple:TV, just have an older G express that joins that network, and plays to speakers in the kitchen. works great except for when the microwave is running.