AE TimeCapsule fan

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by myname70, Aug 7, 2014.

1. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Just considering to buy AE TC 2TB and cannot understand - does it have an build in fan? And in case of TimeMachin is off (no backups now, no HDD spin on) - does the AE TC makes some noise and does the fan (if installed ) is running?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It has a fan to cool the drive but it is very quiet!

3. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks. Does it (the fan) work even whenHDD is not used and no backups undergoing?

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

there is a temp probe inside. So the temp drives when the fan is on and for how long.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is determined by the temperature sensor.

6. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Just received the new AE TC and set it up. What is your connection link speed to the iMac/macbook via WiFi dedicated 5GHz ac ? I have only 1 Gbit/s .. no more (I suppose it should be 1.2 - 1.3). I have a separate name of the 5GHz wifi, but cannot change the wifi standard - so I have only ac (no way to set 5GHz wifi for n standard)

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

1 Gbps is not bad at all. The 1.3 Gbps figure comes from perfectly optimal conditions with very little distance between the router and device. Remember that the 5 GHz band degrades through walls much more easily than 2.4 GHz.

8. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure, but my AE is located 5 cm behind the iMac :)) no distance at all... just thinking did I do the right settings ...

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How many other 5 GHz networks are running in range? iStumbler (free) or WiFi Explorer (Paid-MAS) can help here. Is the channel on auto or on a set channel for the 5 GHz range?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are doing pretty good. Here is mine with the TC about six feet away on the other side of the wall in a closet.

[​IMG]

11. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it is still exactly 1 Gibt/s.. strange.. no less, no more .. the 2.4GHz wifi is 218 Mb/s

Attached Files:

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The latest iStumbler isn't free anymore. They're starting to charge people for it.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

All good things must come to an end. That's unfortunate. I have the free older version saved so I guess I am still good to go.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine shows the same 1Gbps in that Network Utility screen. My understanding is that shows "link speed", or what that connection type is capable of. Option click the wifi icon in the menu bar like in my screenshot and that will show the actual transmit speed.

15. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, correct. The real TX rate is fluctuating from 200 to 1200.. every other second... And always the WiFi status is changing from ON to Looking for Networks... But the signal is full and connection to the capsule is stable.. Rightness I am doing time machine backup, maybe that is why the TX rate is not stable..

Attached Files:

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That does not sound right at all. :eek:

What model Mac?

17. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The latest iMac (late 2013) i7 3.1GHz CPU 16 GB RAM. .. but I have yosemite DP5 installed. .. maybe it causes the problem

18. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Yosemite very well could be the issue.

Oft times when I restart or boot, Yosemite doesn't find the Time Capsule's internal and external drive. If I then run Airport Utility, it finds it fine and works until the next boot.

It shows the WiFi is fine, just doesn't find the drive, but I get real flakey results until I run Airport Utility. Just running it and letting it find my TC is enough.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh... that sounds a likely suspect.

20. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Yosemite does have WiFi issues.

I'm running PB1 on my 2012 rMBP and when bluetooth is on, my WiFi drops.

I boot back to Mountain Lion, and everything is fine.