AE802.11n & AE802.11g in same network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mactastic1971, Mar 25, 2008.

1. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

I have an Airport Express 802.11n, a time capsule (802.11n) and also an Airport Express 802.11g.

I am trying to setup a network.
    I connected the AE802.11n to my cable modem.
    Everything worked fine. I then set this up to run as a WDS.
    Then I reset/powered up my AE802.11g and tried to set this up as part of the existing network. However, my AE802.11n then went into yellow-blink mode before I could do anything in Airport Utilities.
    Im using up-to-date firmware.
    the only way I can get my main AE802.11n to repond is unplugging the AE802.11g !!!

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    Is the AE802.11g compatible with the AE802.11n?
    Should I be using WDS or wireless extender mode?

Thanks
    M.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They are compatible, but, you will only be able to run in G mode, and you should probabily reset the APXg at startup then reconfigure it. Better question is why your TC isn't your primary Base Station and the two APXes extending your network.

TEG

3. mactastic1971 thread starter macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Thats a good question!
    The cable modem & the AE802.11n are hidden away in the guest bedroom behind a book shelf. I dont really have the space to "hide" the TC in there as well...

So it sounds to me like I should commit the AE802.11g to ebay and buy ANOTHER AE802.11n then.

$$$

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

If you want backwards compatibility you could run 2 wireless networks - one pure 5Ghz N and one 2.4Ghz G. You would need to bridge the two networks - by plugging your AEX G into the Time Capsule via Ethernet, and set it in Bridge mode.

5. mactastic1971 thread starter macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Another good suggestion... but, I was really hoping to use the older AE802.11g to extend my wireless network into the bcak of my house...
    Of couse, I could run an ethernet cable under the floor ...

;)

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This would be the best idea for you.

TEG

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

But do you need to do this? Have you tested the range on pure N with the Time Capsule as main and the AEX N as a repeater?

If you're using AirTunes then that's another consideration, as to placement of the AEXs.

8. mactastic1971 thread starter macrumors regular

mactastic1971

I'm not that fussed about using Airtunes since I use TIVO to get my iTunes library onto my multi-room amp/speaker setup. I'm more concerned with being able to use 3-4 PCs and MACs throughout my home. I didnt consider that the range of 802.11n would be sufficient. I guess I should test this out first with the TC and the AEn before splashing out on more hardware.
    Thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Cheers
    M.

9. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I have a similar setup. I have an imac and macbook, both have N. Both my roommates have windows PC's with g only. I wanted to use 5ghz N with my macs and still have a network for the roomies, as the current setup of G with my APX wasn't cutting it for filetransfers between my macs.

so I bought a new AEBS with N, set that up to be the main router, connected to my cable modem and PS3 via ethernet, and set up to use N only. I then connected the APX to an ethernet port to it's ethernet port. I told it to create a new wireless network, that looks the exact same as the old one, so the roomies wouldn't have to change their settings. I told it in the "connection sharing" drop down box to distribute a range of IP addresses, then set up DHCP manually, with a set range of IP addresses it could distribute. This made the APX essentially an extension of the main AEBS network. Fantastic, I can use Airtunes on the APX, but still be able to connect to my Macbook with N.