AEBS + 2 Express units, sound cutting out.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 199708, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 199708 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've purchased an AEBS & and extra Airport Express 2 weeks ago. (Old express was purchased about a month ago), purely for wireless Audio using itunes and its song request feature.

They are successfully connected to one another as such:
    AEBS: extend network option selected
    AE: join network (join AEBS network)
    Using WPA2/personal encryption
    Channel: 7
    Distance: all three units are within 30feet of each other.

AEBS: Office
    AE 1: Room 1 (Bose speakers via Amp)
    AE 2: Room 2 & wireless printer. (Bose speakers via Amp)

When using just one AE I can run sound with no problems but when running both at the same time, it causes the music to cutout a fair bit after about 2-5 minutes.

I couldn't setup WDS, my AEBS doesn't have any WDS options on it as shown in the tutorial on apple's support page. Could this be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more details of my setup if needed, just unsure of what I should provide.

A.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you only want WDS if you need to extend the range of your network. It does come with a speed hit, so if you don't need to get signal somewhere it doesn't reach, don't use it.

Don't know why it's dropping out, it should be able to handle 2 streams and light internet no problems.
    It is possible you are having interference issues from cordless phones, microwave ovens, or neighbors wireless networks causing your network to not run at optimal speeds.
    Check out istumbler, it will list all the networks around you, the only channels that don't overlap are 1, 6, and 11. so try to get as far away from the others as possible.

3. 199708 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no wireless devices around. there is a wireless network near by, but i need to be in at the other end of the house to barely pick it up.

I'm not after extending my network, just wanting to use it for wireless audio & 1 printer.
    I'll give 1,6 & 11 a shot in the next day or two and let you know if there are any improvements?

however, I'm actually after one more AE for the games room, and obliviously be broadcasting tunes to all 3 rooms from my imac that is connected to my AEBS via cat5. I hope itunes will recognize all 3 AE units.