AEBS 802.11n @ 5GHz range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cardsdoc, Sep 11, 2007.

1. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a gigabit AEBS. One of the primary reasons for purchase was for reliably streaming HD from my network to my MBP while attached to my plasma. The router is upstairs and the plasma is downstairs. With my old G router I got a fairly strong signal. With the AEBS set at N only 5GHz, my MBP won't even see the network. If I move a few feet away it picks it up but transfer speeds were not that impressive compared to being in the same room as the router. If I change to N only 2.4GHz, the range is better but speeds are still not that impressive compared to my old G network. Any thoughts.

2. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors 6502

I should add that I do have a 5 GHz phone system although it was not in use at the time. Would decreased range be a typical interference effect from a 5 GHz phone in standby? I guess I'll turn it off when I get home and re-test to see. Also, how sensitive is the AEBS to surrounding objects? It sits next to an M-stand for the MBP and a netgear G router (my goal was to run dual G and N networks at 2.4GHz and 5Ghz to optimize speed as there are non N devices on the network).

3. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Higher frequency signals in general propagate less well. This is one reason why everyone's so anxious to get a hold of that 700 MHz spectrum that's being auctioned in the states.