AEBS 802.11n - Worth it? Increase LAN and internet speed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Veritas&Equitas, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well, I just got a new SR Macbook Pro and I'm looking to upgrade our network at home. I have an external drive with songs and movies on it that I would like to connect to the AEBS, as well as my Canon MP830 printer as well to share on our network. Does the base station stream these media well (movies, etc.)?

Also, how much better is the range than a 802.11g router?

Last, and maybe most important, does it significantly boost your internet connection? We have 6 mb/down through Comcast, and I'm wondering if the faster connection allows for faster broadband...maybe more/better sustained packets?

As you can tell by my questions, I'm really a newbie at 802.11n...I'd appreciate any insight you guys can give regarding this setup; either through your knowledge or first hand experience! Thanks!

P.S. If I did get it, should I run it at 2.4 ghz or 5? We have quite a few walls in our house...if that matters at all regarding the frequency? Thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, going from g to n will not increase your internet speed, as your internet speed is slower than g, so increasing you internal network speed does not remove the bottleneck.

3. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I guess I mean since I'm further away from our router (I'm like 70 ft. through 2 concrete walls), will the increased signal give me a better boost? Does it extend the range a good amount? I know the actual base station won't alter the speed of the modem connection (6 mb/down), but does it affect the end user by increasing throughput? Thanks!

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What are you getting now? 2.4GHz should theoretically be better and going through or around objects.