Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grampa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
I brought my new Airport Extreme Base Station online last night, and it did indeed solve all the problems I was having with a D-Link DI 624. The DHCP server is not having any problems with two TiVo's, two PC laptops, two PC desktops and my C2D MacBook. Cool.

I presume that the Airport Card in the MacBook got the "n" upgrade when I did the AEBS Airport Utility installation, as I had to reboot the MacBook, however, I can't seem to find anywhere an indication of what speed the Aiport is connected to the base station.

Is that information available somewhere?

Is there a way to tell if the "n" is enabled?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I brought my new Airport Extreme Base Station online last night, and it did indeed solve all the problems I was having with a D-Link DI 624. The DHCP server is not having any problems with two TiVo's, two PC laptops, two PC desktops and my C2D MacBook. Cool.

I presume that the Airport Card in the MacBook got the "n" upgrade when I did the AEBS Airport Utility installation, as I had to reboot the MacBook, however, I can't seem to find anywhere an indication of what speed the Aiport is connected to the base station.

Is that information available somewhere?

Is there a way to tell if the "n" is enabled?

I believe that, unless your four PCs and two TiVos support the n standard, you won't get n speeds anyway. Any heterogeneous network downgrades in speed/range to the lowest common denominator amongst the devices connected. At least that's my understanding.

So, barring all those other devices having n support, it doesn't much matter if your MacBook got the update installed. :p

Grampa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
Oh.

I suppose I could use a "g" WAP for those devices, and use the AEBS for the "n" in the MacBook C2D.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.