Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I am looking for a recommendation on an inexpensive/reliable external hdd to connect to my AEBS for my home network/ home theater.

I am looking to do 2 things...

1. store my media on the external hdd making the content universally accessible to both my iMac, my wife's Macbook, and the ATV2

2. Set up Time Machine for both computers (on a side note, when I set this up, should plug the external hdd to the computer directly the first time, or will it be ok over the network...just slow?)

Thanks for the help.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Cheapest way I can think of is a low cost NAS device. Basically what I've done here. You can pick up a bare drive Netgear ReadyNas Duo on Amazon or similar for $199 or so and add two 2tb drives, gives you 2tb in RAID1 or 4tb in JBOD.

Has a built in iTunes server and SMB for shares.

If money is no object look at the Synology offerings, they're about the best out there.

nashmills

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Does a built in iTunes server mean ATV 2 can play media from it without the need for a computer to be on?

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I'd like to know too.

I have an NVX, so would like to store the moves on there through the iTunes server and then sync the data to the ATV2

:)

Does a built in iTunes server mean ATV 2 can play media from it without the need for a computer to be on?

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007

Some NAS's come with an iTunes server. This allows them to stream non-DRM music. It does NOT allow them to stream video content. To do that, you need a computer on running iTunes as the server. Unfortunately...

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Actually, if you jailbrake the ATV2 and install XBMC, you can access that content and play it without iTunes.

I am just curious if there is a preferred type/model/make of external hard drive that folks have had success with, specifically connected to an AEBS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.