AEBS and reliable hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lokinvar, Aug 27, 2009.

1. lokinvar macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Anyone who has managed to get a stable working solution please let me know your set up.
    I have been struggling to get my AEBS (7.3.2) 802.11n Gigabit to work with a powered philips usb drive to no real avail. Have been around the houses and tried a lot of suggestions, am now starting to think that maybe my HD is just rubbish. After 5 mins of inactivity it goes to sleep and the AEBS cant wake it up again...

Any good working solutions out there?
    Many thanks.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

can't you disable the sleep on the hard drive? I have my hard drive spinning 24/7.

3. lokinvar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion but there are no drive specific settings to enable/disable sleep in the HD unit so im guessing its os controlled. My power settings keep the drive awake and there's nothing in the AEBS settings that allow you to keep the drive perm awake... frustrating.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I've had a WD My Book working on my old AEBS with no issues. It sleeps, but is easily woken up when it is ping'd by my computer or TM for back-up.

5. azdunerat macrumors regular

I have a lacie 2TB Max and have had 0 problems with it for the six months I have had the drive.The drive wakes up everytime my computer comes out of sleep or if my laptop is turned on.

Also if I start a program the requires the external drive it will wake itself.

the drive is available from newegg for about 220.00

6. lokinvar thread starter macrumors newbie