AEBS and Time Machine... possible unforeseen problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cyroceon, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Some of you and many others on the net have reported getting TM to work over Airdisk with AEBS. My question is, as an unsupported feature, shouldn't we worry about how the restoration process would be? Once I load Leopard and want to restore my system if anything happened, I might run into a huge problem if my TM drive is not recognized by Leopard over Airdisk using AEBS. Even if I do the update, it may not be identified and I may be stuck basically remaking my entire account from scratch including all my personal files and docs.

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

The latest updates for Time Machine and Airport Utility have allowed for supported Time Machine backups on AirDisks, haven't they?

3. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

I see your point.
    If I was going to freshly install Leopard from a previous TimeMachine backup, would I be able to see the AirDisk from the Leopard install menus?

Plus I don't think you can hook up via FireWire or USB if the AirDisk has been set for TimeMachine for AirDisk...

4. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

That is why I'm so weary. And on top of that, the fact that it takes FOREVER to backup the first backup. I've had it on for about 1 hour now and it is only 3.7GB done.

5. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

1 hour and 3.7GB? SLOW! You may want to check your activity monitor and check you network transfer speed. I believe mine was transfering at 5-6mb/s and it only took my macbook 3-4 hours for close to 80GB

6. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

When it's wired straight into MB via USB the backup is great. However, wirelessly from 2 feet away over AEBS it is disgustingly slow.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Might want to check your connection speed (hold down option while selecting the WiFi icon on the menu bar). What mode is the AEBS in? n only? b/g/n?

It takes me about 9 hours to back up 67GB using n-only (5GHz).

On your original topic, wouldn't the same problem appear for Time Capsule?

8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Good question. I don't think I'd chance it until Apple officially supported it, or you tested it out first or you like playing with fire.

9. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Yep, I already made my decision. Unless Apple is officially supporting it, I'm not taking the risk with my files and my entire library of photos/music/videos etc...

10. thingamajigidid macrumors member

do what i am gonna do.. it think it works great..

use your ae W/ the usb hard drive.. + backup from .mac hopefully you downloaded it when you had your free trial :)

time machine basically backs up your files.. so why not make your backup manage your files..

have your documents back up to a folder in your usb attached harddrive to folder called documents, and have your pictures backup to hey another folder called photos, as well as one for itunes...

that should cover all and any files you might need...

let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions, because i have the tc and i really don't like it.. apple says you can use it as a backup hard drive or even for timemachine, but i can't seem to get a movie to stream of the drive with out lagging to **** sniz...

11. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I don't mind Time Machine itself, but I will only do it over USB direct for now. If I am going to explore other backup options, I'm buying another HD to do it with, because I cannot afford to lose my files.