AEBS and Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaliber35, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Kaliber35 macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

Any idea when Apple will support this? I have a MBP and would love to have periodic and automatic backups throughout my day...

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's been supported since the begining of the year; just when they released the Time Capsule. Just make sure you've upgraded the firmware to 7.3.x

3. Kaliber35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

Well, obviously I am confused. So, how do I varify my firmware version? I didn't see anything in System Profiler.

And to conclude, I am able to use Time Machine with my AEBS connected hard drive. Being this backup is wireless does it take forever to do?

This is not a clone of my MBP as I recall. Is cloning the hard drive still necessary?

Thanks for your time. I really need to find a working routine for backups...

4. Kaliber35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Depends on what you mean by 'support'. It works, but everything I've read here says that Apple won't support it, meaning if you have a problem or question about getting Time Machine to work with an AEBS, they won't help.

Use the Airport Utility program. It's in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.

6. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Doesn't work too well with Quicksilver

I was using this for awhile but then I realized it was causing Quicksilver to freeze -- I couldn't have this. It also did other "weird" things but I don't really remember the specifics.

Let me know how it goes for you.

~E

7. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

It does take a long time but its pretty transparent. My first backup took about a day, no joke, but I still did everything I normally do and everything worked like a charm. After the first backup, they are much faster. Usually not more than 15-20 minutes.
    Ive heard of people hooking their external drive up hardwired for the first backup, then plugging it into the AEBS for the wireless backups. I never tried this so Im not sure if its a solution for everyone.
    By the way, I had to update every firmware I could find to get this to work. My AEBS, the Airport Utility, the external HDD, then it finally showed up in Time Machine.

8. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I forgot to mention, this only works if your external drive is formatted HFS+.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Here is how you get to the Airport Utility.

Open up your HDD and go to the Applications folder:
    [​IMG]

Then scroll down and open the Utilities folder:
    [​IMG]

Open up Airport Utility:
    [​IMG]

Select the router you want to configure and it should show the version number in the window:
    [​IMG]

If you don't have the lastest version, be sure to update it by going:
    [Top menu] Airport Utility --> Check for Updates.

10. Kaliber35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

Nice tip!

11. Kaliber35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

lol, thx. I know how to get around my MBP. Just wasnt sure how to check firmware version! But seriously, thank you for the time!!!

12. Kaliber35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

Ok, I have version 7.3.2. Im good to give it a go. Thank you for all the help. I'll be sure to post the outcome.

13. powz macrumors regular

Just a note of caution...I've been backing up with AEBS/Time Machine almost since Leopard came out, and normally it works OK. However, I've had the backups fail more than once (e.g. after a couple months it gives an error during a routine backup to the hard drive). Repairing permissions seemed to help temporarily but the problem would inevitably come back. The only solution I found was to completely delete the old backups and start fresh. So if you need a trouble-free backup solution, this may not be it...

Here's a tip if you do decide to go this route... if you haven't done the initial backup already, you can try doing it while connected via Ethernet or Gigabit ethernet, which should be a lot faster.