AEBS Bliss - Finally

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jhande, Mar 27, 2008.

1. jhande macrumors 6502

OK, I've got a Gigabit AEBS which has been bugging me for *months*.

I've upgraded from 7.2 to 7.2.1 to 7.3.1. In the meantime I've also upgraded from Tiger to Leopard (10.5.2), and all in all, the experience hasn't exactly lived up to "It just works".

I've had dropped connections, inability to find the damn AEBS, and lately, after 7.3.1 it's been extremely sloooooow. This has, of course, meant that any ambition wrt. wireless Time Machine was unrealistic.

However, tonight I'm zooming along at a nice clip, with TM chugging away in the background (the first one is going to take a long time). Everything seems rock solid.

So, what changed? Well I've been through the whole routine of wiping the AEBS, deleting keychains and starting over, but this time I did it with a twist:

Following best practice, I don't use the administrator account. So, when I have to do admin stuff I typically use sudo (in the terminal), or the admin password whenever a window pops up.

This time I said fsck it, and

1. Hard reset of base station
    2. Destruction of all airport keychains
    3. Log out, and log in as administrator
    4. Reconfigure AEBS to desired (WPA, etc. etc. etc)
    5. Log out of administrator
    6. Log in as regular user.

Oh joy. Full Power!!!

YMMV

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Excellent. Now put your mac to sleep and see if your TM disk is still there when you wake up. ;)

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I just did this yesterday with my MBP and it worked fine... Did a backup with Time Machine, closed the lid for about 30 mins, opened it up (connected to TC and network immediately) and proceeded to do a second and even third backup.

I'm also on a new Penryn MBP so I'm not sure if that's got anything to do with it...

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Doesn't seem to work consistently with the AEBS.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood. I still have to get my mind around the fact that Apple allowed Time Machine to use AEBS disks :eek:

6. jhande thread starter macrumors 6502

So far so good. Seemed to take a while for TM to go into action when I chose 'Back up now' in the menu bar, but no hiccups.

I'll play a bit more with it tomorrow.

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I applied the update to my AEBS a week ago, and plugged in a Seagate external for use as a TM drive. I have a Mini and an iMac both sleeping and backing up successfully when they wake up. No problems so far, either with the initial (which took quite a while) or subsequent backups.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Mine never seems to be there when I wake up. Furthermore, Airport utility has problems reading the config. I may just have to reset and rebuild the keychain.