Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I currently have an O2 wireless ADSL2 Modem connected to my AEBS. I've disabled the Wi-Fi signal of the wireless box since its a G router and i'd rather be using the AEBS for its N signals. I'm wondering if i should connect the O2 box to the ethernet port of the AEBS or WAN port whilst in bridge mode? or it doesn't matter?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Just to clarify, by ethernet port you mean one of the LAN ports, correct? Both the LAN and WAN ports are ethernet ports :p. But semantics aside, you'd want to connect it to the WAN port (the one with the flower looking thing on top). AirPort Base Stations automatically switch that port to work with whichever setup you use in AirPort Utility, which is nice as it leaves all 3 LAN ports open for other devices to join your network.

A piece of advice, enable the g signal on your modem/router and make the AEBS Wireless N only (5 GHz). This way you'll have a dual band network where b/g devices can join the O2 network and N devices join the AEBS network. It's still the same network since they're on the same subnet (albeit with different SSIDs), and the b/g clients won't slow down any N clients.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Just to clarify, by ethernet port you mean one of the LAN ports, correct? Both the LAN and WAN ports are ethernet ports :p. But semantics aside, you'd want to connect it to the WAN port (the one with the flower looking thing on top). AirPort Base Stations automatically switch that port to work with whichever setup you use in AirPort Utility, which is nice as it leaves all 3 LAN ports open for other devices to join your network.

A piece of advice, enable the g signal on your modem/router and make the AEBS Wireless N only (5 GHz). This way you'll have a dual band network where b/g devices can join the O2 network and N devices join the AEBS network. It's still the same network since they're on the same subnet (albeit with different SSIDs), and the b/g clients won't slow down any N clients.

Yeah LAN. I shall connect to WAN then. Should i set it to 100mb Full Duplex or leave it at Automatic?. I would build a dual band network but the 5GHz mode on my AEBS is very unreliable and you literally have to be in the same room as the extreme to even connect!

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The duplex issue I really wouldn't be able to help you with, sorry. Maybe somebody else would be better help.

In regards to the dual band network, you can still set up a Wireless N (2.4 GHz) network on the AEBS and a b/g network on the O2. It won't have as high a speed as 5 GHz, but it will still be faster than g speeds with a greater range than 5 GHz. Granted, if all you're using it for is Internet, wireless g speeds will be sufficient. It's only when you get to sharing files over WiFi that you benefit from N speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.