AEBS crashing when backing up files to another machine...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmFightSpam, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Hi,

This is probably related to a bunch of other threads here, but I wanted to throw my hat into the ring. I warn you, this is related to running Windows Vista on my MacBook Pro

I have a Dell desktop with an external hard drive attached to it. It is on my network along with my MacBook Pro. I like to backup files from my MacBook Pro to that drive over the network -- which obviously means that the data flows through my Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n.

I have noticed though that anytime I try to backup a bunch of files (like the first backup that will subsequently become incremental backups), that the AEBS just gives up and my whole internal network is shutdown and access to the internet is no longer available. I have to power off/on the AEBS everytime. That *****! Now, mind you, the files themselves aren't necessarily that big. I mean the total lot of the files I am trying to backup is only 710 MB. I think the AEBS just cannot handle the volume for some reason.

Has anyone seen this? If it helps, I am using SyncBackSE for my backups.

Is rolling back to a previous firmware version recommended? I have 7.2.1 right now (the latest, I think). How do you rollback?

Any ideas on how to nip this problem in the bud modulo going out and getting a non-Apple wireless router?

Thanks.

2. nikiski macrumors regular

Hello,

I have experience with the AirPort Extreme Base Station (Gigabit) and to isolate the problem, have you tried to copy the files to your external harddrive on your dell using Finder? I think the AEBS may not be the problem here. I can copy large files and large number of files over the network with no trouble at all.

3. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

I have not done that, but I have tried to different backup tools (SyncBackSE and Cobian), and both have given the same negative result.

I am thinking it is the AEBS and now reverting back to older firmware can be me only choice.

Any other ideas?

4. nikiski macrumors regular

Before rolling back to a previous firmware (only available to Fast Ethernet version of the AEBS), do you mind if you can share with us your network configuration? Like, are you copying files from the LAN to WLAN? Or the other way round? Or are both on LAN, or WLAN? That would help me and other fellow members draw some ideas. :)

5. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,
    The developer of the back up software (SyncBackSE by 2BrightSparks) said that it has a capability of throttling the bandwidth that the backup program uses to transfer files. The problem is, I don't know what to throttle the bandwidth to?

I have the option to limit the bandwidth usage of SyncBackSE to XXX KB/sec. What value should I put for XXX? What is the maximum bandwidth that my 802.11n can handle when transferring data on an internal network?

THanks.