AEBS Dual-Band: Adding SMTP Port Mapping Causes Lockup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by clayj, Mar 4, 2009.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I just bought one of the new dual-band AirPort Extremes, to replace an older AirPort Extreme (the last generation before this one). I exported my configuration from the old AEBS to a baseconfig file, disconnected the old AEBS, and plugged in the new one. I then imported the baseconfig file, only to find that although its light will turn green, the AEBS will no longer show up in AirPort Utility. To get it back, I have to do a hard reset of the AEBS.

Through painstaking troubleshooting, I have determined that the problem occurs if the configuration includes a port mapping for SMTP (port 25). If I create all of my port mappings (and there are many) BUT that one, then all is well; but as soon as I add a port 25 port mapping and Update the AEBS, it will not restart properly (green light but no one is home).

THIS NEW AIRPORT EXTREME IS USELESS TO ME UNLESS I CAN MAP PORT 25. I HAVE AN E-MAIL SERVER THAT REQUIRES PORT 25 TO BE OPEN ON MY FIREWALL.

Apple, what the ****? Don't you guys beta test this stuff anymore?

Has anyone else seen this problem, or can anyone else reproduce it? (Before you try to reproduce this, make sure you save your configuration out to a baseconfig file. You will need this if the AEBS refuses to start back up.)

2. dokindo macrumors regular

I had a similar problem when trying to use my old config file to update my new AEBS Dual band in that I would get lockups requiring reset.

I was able to recreate my port mapping (3389 and 80) manually and it seems to be working. Dont know about 25 though.

3. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I've even gone so far as to reset the new AEBS back to factory defaults and re-enter all of my old settings by hand. Adding the SMTP port mapping back in is what breaks the AEBS when I click Update.

Considering how serious this problem is, my recommendation to all at this point is to WAIT a while before you buy one of these things. If I had known it was gonna pull a BS stunt like this, I would not have bought it.