AEBS Dual Band slow with iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aced411, Mar 20, 2010.

1. aced411 macrumors 6502

I've been trying to troubleshoot this and have yet to find a good configuration. I have the dual band extreme (not the latest) with the following wifi devices:
    2 Apple TV's
    MacBook Pro
    Two Airport Express's (joined to extreme for remote ethernet connections)
    2 iPhone 3GS's
    PSP

I broadcast two bands and restrict N to 5Ghz. All devices are joined to 5Ghz except obviously the iPhones and PSP. Here's the issue:

WiFi is dog slow and unreliable on both iPhones. At it's best, the speed is comparable to 3G. At it's worst it can take 30 seconds to load a web page like macrumors. I got so used to it that I almost forgot how fast the 3GS is supposed to be until I got a hotel room and connected to their wifi. Can anyone help? I'm wondering if there is a better router out there but looking at the choices it seems the others in it's class have issues as well.

I could hook up an old Linksys AP and broadcast out a G signal but that's ridiculous what would be the point of having dual band other than throwing money out the window?

2. aced411 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

Hmmmm.... Setting the wifi channels to manual mode From automatic seemed to help quite a bit.