AEBS Dual Band v.1 Signal Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kellte2, Oct 26, 2009.

1. kellte2 macrumors regular

After the announcement of the Simultaneous Dual-Band II, I've taken an interest in getting the most out of my version. However, I've been noticing signal issues especially when using the 5 ghz network. I have it set to "wide channels", multicast rate of "High", deselected "closed network" and "interference robustness", and the transmit power at 100%.

I've adjusted the position of the router to avoid potential sources of interference, and when I go to select a network with the airport icon at on the task bar, my 5.0 ghz network is never at full strength. In fact, it rarely shows more than 2 bars. As I type this post, I am literally six feet from the AEBS and I have only 3 bars showing.

When I view the statistics within the Advanced Tab in the Airport Utility I am only showing a rate of 65 mbps on the b/g/n (2.4ghz) network and 270 mbps over the 5.0 ghz n network.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this thing going at full performance? When I'm in the adjacent room, I am rarely able to get over 200 mbps. I know a wall is in the way, but my apartment is modestly sized and it is very disappointing that the signal is this weak on this lil thing - especially given the fact that I've had it for just about a month and its been updated to address the signal issues.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

The 5ghz band doesn't have as much range as the 2.4ghz band, so, getting a slower link speed through a wall or two isn't unexpected.

Have you tried changing channels? I found that in my environment the 5ghz band works best on channel 149. The 2.4ghz band should be set to either 1, 6, or 11, nothing in between due to spectrum overlap. I usually run Kismac / AirRadar to determine what other APs are adjacent and select a channel not used by the ones nearby.

3. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm getting no more than 65% strength on my 2.4 ghz network and 60% on my 5.0 ghz network (according to AirRadar) and the router is plugged in three feet behind me. It is not around anything even remotely electronic.

Is something wrong with it? That wireless performance is laughably bad.

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

5. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

I did try switching channels to about 5 of the 5.0 ghz variety -- I'm also the only person running a 5.0 ghz network in my area. As for the 2.4 ghz spectrum, 11 looked like the best option according to AirRadar.

I just can't believe that I am unable to get near 100% signal strength when I could reach out and touch my router.

EDIT....

After searching the Official Apple Discussion, it seems like there are several threads implicating 7.4.2 as the potential problem

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10000478&#10000478