AEBS Dual-BandNot crap anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alphaod, Mar 4, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just got the AEBS Dual-Band; all happy to configure.

Everything is just like the older version, except with the addition of the MobileMe, Guess Network, and jolly-jolly simultaneous dual band!

Well it's not as good as I was expecting. On my Linksys WRT600N I can set a WPA/2 passphrase for each network, have seprate names, choose what mode to use (N-only, Mixed, etc.).

This is not even close! It only lets me choose different names, but I have to use the same passphrase for both networks, I can't force one to be N-only or whatever.

It's not jolly-jolly at all and a big waste of my money.

EDIT: If you change the Internet Setting from sharing a public IP to something else, you lose the ability to create a guest network. Indicated in post #12. In other words, if you this is just going to be an AP for your network and/or you have another device acting as the DHCP server, you lose the functionality.
    Oh when I forced a different name for my 5GHz network, I lost the ability to create guest network.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

So if you create two separately named networks, you can't prevent b/g clients from joining the n network?

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

You do have the option of returning it. When you choose to be an early adopter issues are to be expected.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

When i read about this feature it made me want to upgrade my time capsule, but after thinking it through i decided it really wasn't worth it and i would be playing right into Apple's business model lol.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I do, but I'm posting this so other people don't fall into the same trap.

Nope; you can't prevent A devices from the joining the 5GHz network and you can't prevent B/G devices from joining the 2.4GHz network

6. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Main page—shows firmware version 7.4
    [​IMG]

Main configuration page—just like the old one
    [​IMG]

Limited selection of modes—a disappointment
    [​IMG]

Choose a name for your 5GHz network—can't force N-only
    [​IMG]

MobileMe page—No configuration page for managing; I don't have USB drive connected
    [​IMG]

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

If you have wide channels turned on, wouldn't an 802.11a device not be able to connect the AP, therefore making it 802.11n only?

8. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

It just won't be able to connect to the fringe frequencies; it can still connect. I tried it ;)

9. paragonj macrumors member

I am considering upgrading my Time Capsule, so I want to make sure I understand the limitations here.

Are these all of the complaints with dual-band?

1) You can set up different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, but they must have the same password.

2) You cannot set the 5GHz band to disallow 802.11a devices from joining.

3) You said you lost the ability to do Guest Accounts, under what circumstances specifically does that happen?

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Hopefully this should be able to be resolve with a firmware update but not probable. :mad: My new AirPort Extreme will be here Friday.

11. emt1 macrumors 65816

I don't think this is a deal breaker for me. I don't own any 802.11a devices and nobody who does would have my WPA key anyways

12. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

1) Yes they use the same passwords.

2) No you cannot; A devices although far and few, can still join.

3) I just did some testing; if you change the option from 'Share a public IP address' to anything else you lose the option to create a guest network.

Switch away and you lose guest network ability:
    [​IMG]

To create a 'Guest Network':
    [​IMG]

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's less-than-ideal, but not a deal breaker for me. I don't have any 802.11a devices currently, and if I did, I'd just configure them to use the 2.4ghz network.

I still think I'd prefer the new Time Capsule vs. the old Time Capsule + UFO-style Airport Extreme solution I'm currently running.

14. paragonj macrumors member

Alright, these sound like the answers that aren't dealbreakers. One followup, you said in your first post that when you forced your 5GHz network to have a different name, you lost the ability to do guest networking. Is that still accurate, or did your testing lead to see that that is not the case. This is the only thing that could scare me away from upgrading.

Neither the same passwords thing or the A devices thing really bother me. I don't have any A devices. On the 2.4GHz network, I don't really care what config it's in, as that is only for my Wii and guests when I have them over. I can't see a scenario where I would use a different setting besides 'Share a public IP address'.

15. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

802.11a is 5GHz only.

I guess I did that in one step, so my initial presumption was incorrect.

Setting a different name does not cause you to lose guest network access, only changing the latter setting I indicated.

16. paragonj macrumors member

Good good. While some of these things are annoyances, none of them appear to limit the functionality in any way that I need. Hopefully Apple will release firmware updates to add a little flexibility.

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Doah, I should have caught that (not that I've ever used an 802.11a device in my ~10 years of dicking around with wifi). Either way, not a show-stopper for how I plan on implementing it. Thanks for the heads up, though.

18. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Hopefully; maybe that's why the "internal website" posted on TUAW says these functions will be pushed out to legacy devices with version 7.4.1; looks like we're buying hardware with beta firmware :p

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Isn't that half the fun of buying new Apple products? :D

20. paragonj macrumors member

I think that said that only the MobileMe functionality was being pushed to legacy devices.

21. crackmini macrumors newbie

How valuable is Dual Band?

I'm a long time reader, first time poster -- thanks for all the valuable info I've gotten from these forums!

I just bought the old Time Capsule on Saturday, and now I wonder if I should return it to take advantage of the dual band feature. (I'm upgrading from the space-ship looking Airport Extreme.) I will be running one new Mac Mini with 802.11N (yeah!) and a couple older G4 Macs using 802.11G, as well as an iPhone on my network.

Will my new Mac Mini be able to take full advantage of 802.11N with the old Time Capsule, competing with all those other 802.11G devices?

22. brand macrumors 601

brand

That's what I recall reading also.

23. paragonj macrumors member

You could use your Time capsule in N-only mode and your AEBS in B/G mode, but since you are in the return window. I would return it and upgrade for the one box solution and to get guest networking.

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you use just the old Time Capsule, your Mac Mini will not be able to take full advantage of 802.11n because when older 802.11g devices are active on the network, it slow the network below 802.11n speeds.

Like paragonj mentioned, you can keep your UFO Airport (and its 802.11b/g network) and setup your Time Capsule as a separate 802.11n-only network (that's how my house is currently setup), but in my opinion, it's a cleaner solution to get the new Time Capsule and just have one device running separate networks for the 802.11b/g devices and 802.11n devices.

25. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Right, this is why I run a Time Capsule and Airport Extreme seperately. All my gear is either gigabit wired or 802.11n, while my roommates use 802.11b/g and given the terabytes of data that goes over my network wirelessly, I give them their own network from my AE base station.