AEBS & Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boston04and07, Oct 10, 2009.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hey guys, I have kind of a dumb question about my network. I'm trying to connect my MacBook to my AEBS via an ethernet cable, instead of using the wireless network. However, no matter what settings I mess around with, my MacBook won't use ethernet instead of wireless. If I shut off the wireless, I just have no internet at all. It says that the "ethernet cable has been unplugged," even though it is definitely plugged into both the router and my MacBook just fine. I know that the ethernet cable isn't damaged it works fine with one of my Windows computers. Additionally, I was just using an ethernet cable in a hotel a few weeks ago and it was fine, leading me to think that it isn't my ethernet port that's broken.

Is there any way for me to force my computer to use the ethernet connection? I want to keep the wireless network intact for my other computers to use...just not this one! :rolleyes:

2. Doctor Doom macrumors member

turn off your airport and then:

System preference-Network-hit the little cog and 'set service order' place ethernet at the top.
    But if it still says 'ethernet not connected' then the problem is probably hardware (cable, router socket, mac socket)

3. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Why thank you, that's what I was looking for :)