AEBS/Express Setup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ugahairydawgs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Got a setup question that I want to make sure I have right in my head that this will work.

Want to run cable internet through the AEBS and use one of the wired LAN connections to my DirecTV HD-DVR. In two of the bedrooms I want to run use an Airport Express in each to 1.) extend the wireless network and 2.) direct connect DirecTV boxes in each room to utilize the Whole Home DVR service they have.

This should work, right? Also, if there is a printer connected to a USB ports on the Express it would share across the whole network, correct?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes it will work.

one thing to keep in mind, if the extreme has enough range by itself, you don't want to extend with the expresses, you want to have them join the network.

extending will cut your network speed, since the express is having to talk to 2 devices at the same time (your computer, and the extreme). but if you need the range, it's a tradeoff that's worth it.

you need the newer N version.
    The G version only enables the ethernet jack if you're extending, but the N does for joining and extending.
    The N version has been out a few years, so only an issue if you're getting used.

for setup, i highly recommend plugging your computer directly to the expresses via ethernet until you get them configured, once they're setup and happy, then you can move them and plug them into your DVRs.

and either way, a printer plugged into any of the 3 airports will be accessible from any computer connected to the network.

3. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

4. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

One follow up...does the Express need the Extreme in order to join a network? Or can it work with any brand of router?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

it can join any network.

extending a non-apple router can be a bit hit or miss.