AEBS + Ext HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eric.c, Sep 13, 2010.

1. eric.c macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I got a new external HDD but no matter what I do it won't show up when connected to my airport extreme. Any ideas? Here's a screenshot from disk utility to answer any questions.

http://imgur.com/8eHfD.png

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Need more information: Airport Extreme model, OS current airport settings etc. Also why do you want to connect it to your airport rather then directly to your computer? The AEBS is not a substitute for a decent NAS drive.

Cheers

3. eric.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm my AEBS is the current generation, with all the default settings for the device (I checked to make sure that file sharing for disks is enabled). The disk is formatted HFS+ (journaled) and I'm currently on 10.6.4

I actually managed to get the aebs to detect the drive (after a few hours of playing around with the thing). Now it blinks amber when I connect the HDD to it and says in Airport Utility

"There is a problem with the disk connected to your Apple wireless device. Connect the disk to your computer to repair the disk."

I connected it to my MBP and Disk Utility said there was nothing wrong with the drive (I did both verify and repair drive). I also set the persmissions on the drive for read/write access for all.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Why is his setup not a substitute for a NAS drive? Is it really much different than the Time Capsule (for example) in speed and reliability? I thought these NAS-capable routers were designed for this purpose. Genuinely curious.

5. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Good question its a matter of bandwidth and how requests for data are handled by the system. It all comes down to bandwidth output especially when files are large and multiple users are accessing the device.

802.11g gets around 54Mb/sec or 6.75MB/sec even in a worst case scenario a USB 2.0 connection is doing at least 40MB/sec and FW800 upwards of 60MB/sec. So unless bandwidth is not important or speed is not an issue then these low-end NAS solutions are just slow.

Cheers

6. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Believe it or not I have had people try to do this with the previous generation of Airport. So this is a very important piece of information. If you want help you have to provide sufficient information to people who are not in front of your computer so they can help you.

List of important facts:
    Hardware involved and versions
    Software involved (OS, programs and versions)
    As much detail about the configuration as you can give

(The more detail you given the easier it is to figure out the problem)

I don't know this really doesn't help me. Your settings are not default somewhere in there or you missed a step. I would wipe the drive, reset the airport to default and try it again maybe use the apple support directions.

Cheers

7. eric.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I didn't give more details before. Here's what I have:

I have the current generation Airport Extreme (square white plastic one). The firmware version is 7.5.1.

The settings are default factory settings (I changed my wireless network name and password, and enabled file sharing in the disks tab). I already tried resetting the Airport Extreme (using the hardware reset button, but that didn't work.

The computer I'm trying to access the disk on is a 15" mid 2010 MacBook Pro, running 10.6.4. I'm using version 5.5.1 of Airport utility to set it up.

The disk is a WD elements 2TB drive, formatted with 1 partition spanning the entire drive. Its a Mac OS Extended (journaled) file system w/ MBR (not GUID).

8. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread (hopefully this actually helps the OP :p )

The current versions of the AEBS and Time Capsule or any other 802.11n NAS routers should provide the same or similar bandwidth, correct? Since the OP has this model AEBS, can he expect similar reliability and performance as one with a Time Capsule would?