AEBS + External HD + Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sjacarter, Oct 20, 2007.

1. sjacarter macrumors member

sjacarter

Hi, i have pre-ordered 10.5.0 for 79.00 from mu univeristy book story:D and plan to use my AEBS airdisk and the external drive fro time machine back up throughly the network.

My question is will the airdisk be able to handle time machine and will my network become slow do to the network activity. I know it would be faster suing FW400/800 but i only have USB or eSATA and i only have a Blackbook

Second, is there a adapter for eSATA to FW800/400

Last, with the new spaces dose this mean the end of expose? or How dose Expose work with spaces? when you go to a hot corner it shows all windows and you pick on and then you automatically go to that space? Just wondering about that?

2. rmh macrumors regular

It will slow down a little, but it should be able to handle it.

Nope. Expose will still work with spaces. If you trigger the "All windows" function, it will just display all of the windows in that particular space.

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Actually, eSATA is by far the fastest option but you need a card or adaptor.

And as rmh said, the AEBS will work perfectly. Jobs even touted that as a neat solution, being able to wirelessly have time machine backup your machine :)

4. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Now the initial backup will probably bog down your wireless network, but unless you have other file transfers going on, you probably won't even notice it. The Internet's speed is usually far less then what your wireless network is capable of.

The hourly snapshots? I doubt you will notice a speed decrease on your network at all, unless you made a huge amount (meaning GB's worth) of changes to your computer.

5. ukor macrumors newbie

With this type of setup would you be able to use the airdisk for multiple computers that are connected to the AEBS?

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm sorry to inject a note of stupidity into this conversation, but what exactly is AEBS? Thanks for your help--my wife is a MacBook owner and I'd love to be able to figure out a Time Machine solution for her.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You may want to read this thread carefully before y'all get too excited about using TM and Airdisk together.

8. rmh macrumors regular

Sorry, its AirPort Extreme Base Station. The Apple router with 802.1n. It has a USB port on it so you can add a networked HD or printer, or even both if you use a USB hub.

9. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Well that sucks.
    What if you connected a hard drive to the AirPort via ethernet?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It will work fine as long as you use a Mac Pro running Leopard Server as your NAS. ;)

What do you want? Wait until Leopard comes out. Or else plan on doing what Apple officially says you CAN do. Or make assumptions and prepare to be upset when they prove invalid.

[​IMG]

You won't like that answer. I'm sure someone will "be nice" to you and tell you it will work fine. But... well, your mileage is your mileage.

11. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Ah ha. Good thing I'm not like "Johnny Appleseed" and randomly delete my files. I'll wait and see what happens.

12. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you so much for the help!

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I have a lot of questions too. It's a neat technology, and it seems like Airdisk and TM were planned as a matching pair. So it's not clear why Apple doesn't seem to be supporting it at this time, save to say the things said in the other thread.

Hopefully in the end TM will turn out to be what we want it to be.

In the mean time, SuperDuper and (I think) Carbon Copy Cloner can both make backups to Airdisk or other NAS, but I don't think they can make bootable clones (i.e. you wouldn't be able to pull the drive off the AEBS and connect it via USB or FW and boot off it).