AEBS Firmware 7.1.1 downgrade, from 7.2?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Trepex, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Okay, is there a definitive way to check which version of firmware you have installed on the Airport Extreme? My status page shows 7.2, but the update utility just had me install 7.1.1 (downgrade???)...

I had the non-gigabit version of the Airport but I returned it to BestBuy and got the gigabit version from the Apple Online store. I immediately started having issues with my airport disks, getting errors on both my PC and Mac, saying "unknown user, incorrect password, or login unavailable". Now this morning I see it wants to downgrade me to 7.1.1 from the 7.2 that came on the gigabit AEBS. I'm qutie sure my old AEBS was 7.1.1.

Could 7.2 have been responsible for the Airport disk problems people have been seeing?

2. jsnipper macrumors newbie

I'm having the same exact issue...wondering if the old firmware is better...anyone?

3. sfisher macrumors regular

Mine says it is running 7.2 (which shipped with it - I just bought it a few days ago) and it doesn't ask me to change to 7.1. Maybe the utility got confused when you switched it out with a newer model? :confused: I am not running a USB disk or printer though so I cannot comment on if that works or not.

4. Trepex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Yeah I've tried removing the software and reinstalling it, and although the software DOES say on installation that it's for the AEBS-N Gigabit ethernet, everything else seems identical, including the version (5.2.1) and it still shows as 7.2.

My USB drive problem seems to have been resolved at least for the time being, by plugging it into my MBP and running the repair in Disk Utility, even though the "verify" found no errors. I did this because I noticed in the AEBS log a bunch of errors saying "drive needs repair" immediately after the AEBS would recognize it.