AEBS (gigabit) slower than mac to mac direct ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WPB2, Aug 24, 2009.

1. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I have a gigabit AEBS, that only gets 12 MB/sec MAX when I transfer files between my 2 macs via ethernet cable. I get 45 MB/sec MAX when I connect the 2 macs directly to each other via ethernet cable.

What the hell is going on here? is this typical of the AEBS? I would expect these numbers from the 100Mbps AEBS, but not the gigabit version.

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

How fast is your internet? That determines a lot.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

He is doing it all locally, via the hub vs. direct connect.

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

The 2 are connected to the AEBS right? The AEBS has to be connected to internet to see each other.

That's how I'm reading it as. If I'm wrong, my bad.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

AEBS is just a fancy switch. So if you don't have internet, you can still connect two systems to it to network them. OP is saying that when the two systems are connected via the AEBS the connection between them is slow. No internet involved. :)

As for the OP, it shouldn't be that slow. Are you sure the systems are using the ethernet vs. wifi?

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Well I'm just full of FAIL then.

OP ignore my rubbish.

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Why would you think putting a switch in between the computers would make it faster? Of course it's going to be slower, however it shouldn't be that slow.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Is the AEBS full duplex, etc.? I don't know how much of the specs  published.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

Two things pop into my head:

1. They are linking at 100 Mb. 12 MB/sec is approximately the throughput of a 100 Mb connection.

2. The MTU is not set correctly across the board, which will cause more overhead and work on the switch.

My advice is to set the NIC properites to Auto on both machines.

10. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

How do I go about doing that? Are you referring to DHCP on auto?

11. belvdr macrumors 603

No, I mean under the advanced settings of the network card properties:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2532

Make sure the configuration in that tab is set to Automatically.

12. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I didn't think the switch would make it faster, I noticed how slow a transfer was throught the AEBS, and decided to try a direct connection to see what was going on. Thats when I found out the problem.

At first I thought I had a rare AEBS 100BaseT (non gigabit) which apple made for about ~4 months. I checked, and no its a gigabit version.

13. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I wish my WiFi was that fast. If so I would have the fastest wifi in the world.

14. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Funny.

Still Laughing.

Yes It is in Full Duplex mode (thats the default)

That is very close to the theoretical max of 100BaseT (100Mbps)

2. The MTU is not set correctly across the board, which will cause more overhead and work on the switch.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure where to start, but its on auto.

My advice is to set the NIC properites to Auto on both machines.[/QUOTE]

They are both set to auto, I didn't change the setting at all when I hooked them up direct vs. through the switch. But this sounds like something I can play with when I get home.

It sounds like I need to play with some numbers, and trial, and error it out. Thanks.

15. waw74 macrumors 68030

open network utility, it in the applications/Utilities folder

under info what does your link speed say?
    you might have to change the adapter from the list, my airport is en0 and the ethernet is en1, just look at what it says under model to make sure you have the right adapter.

as far as the "fastest wifi in the world" comment,
    my wireless N (5 GHz) normally gets 10 - 11 KB/s so 12 isn't that far off

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

A ha ha ha. I told you to ignore it (because I misread it and I was corrected) and now you choose to insult me.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

10 - 11 KB/sec? Wow, that's nearly ISDN speed!

18. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I doubt you 802.11N aebs, or otherwise gets any higher than 7.5 MB/sec (thats MegaBytes per second, not Megabits. I am talking about Actually speed not some Theoretical Lab test numbers. Try it out, transfer a large file to another mac over 5GHz wireless, and see what your numbers are.

I wasn't insulting, just saying It was funny. Please don't take offense.

Funny again!

19. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

^I'm not a guy that gets offended, I mean after all this is the internet.

You just seem to be coming off condescending and rude when we are trying to help you.

Just MHO.

20. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

It says link speed 1 Gbit/sec. This is where I looked first when I noticed the slow transfer speed's.

Does anyone know what the overhead is for the different file transfer protocals? FTP, AFP, SFTP...

Or better yet can anyone test their AEBS, and tell me what numbers they get over ethernet, so I know this is normal. Also do a test directly connected to another mac please. Report the numbers here. I took a 1.8GB file, and transfered it both ways, and timed it. I also watched activity monitor the whole time. Did the math (File size/ time=Transfer speed average)

21. waw74 macrumors 68030

not some "Theoretical Lab test numbers," if you notice i said, "my wireless N (5 GHz) normally gets"
    I actually did try it out right before i posted (on a 720 movie file that's just under 8GB), and was getting an average of 10.5 MB/sec (and yes it's megabytes, not bits hence a B and not a b) although i did screw up and put a K instead of an M.

did it again, and here's a screenshot.
    [​IMG]

This is coming off an airport express, to an early 2008 MBP, with 2 gigabit switches between the express and an Ubunutu server box sharing the files using AFP.

and over wired gigabit, i'm getting 20 to 25 MB/s.

22. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

damn, those are some really good numbers. It must be the humidity down here in south Louisiana that slowing everything down.

I even tried creating adhoc network, then joining that network with another MacBook. Still only getting ~6 max wireless. The MacBooks were sitting 4 ft. From each other.

If I set the aebs in mixed mode I only get ~2.5MB/sec. When in 5GHz N only mode I get ~6MB/sec. I wonder how the new Dual band AEBS fairs in these test.

Oh well thanks for the help

Peace