AEBS linking together to extend network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hammie14, Dec 1, 2013.

1. hammie14 macrumors regular

hammie14

I have link 2 AEBS together to extend my network (via a cat6e cable) and on 2 different mac's airport utilities is showing different things just wanted to know if this is correct?

On my main rMBP its show like

[​IMG]

but on my my other macs (old macbook and a 2012 MBA) its shows like

[​IMG]

Also on my 3rd Gen iPad its showing the same as the 2nd pictures.

Is this correct or is something wrong ?

Thanks
    Rob

2. drsox, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

To link two AEs together via a LAN you need to use a different setting than Extend. The second unit needs to be set to "Create a Wireless network" and to be in "Bridge Mode".

If you want your WiFi units to connect to each AE (as you move around), then this will create a Roaming Network. On the second unit, use the same WiFi settings as on the first.

Regarding your diagrammes : I get this sometimes, but after a while the network sorts itself out and correctly displays the topology. I have three of my four AEs in Bridge Mode etc. It may depend on which one you connect to initially. Presumably the top one is actually the correct one?

3. hammie14 thread starter macrumors regular

hammie14

To be honest I let the airport utility set it up :D

It asked if i wanted to extend the network which I selected, i have checked the setting and it is create a network and its set to bridge mode (looks like its working as i now get signal upstairs and in the garden which i never had before)

I just wondered why it showed different on the 2 macs.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Are they by any chance associated with different access points?

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Extend tells them to repeat via their antennas. This will give you bars as expected, but may not be using the faster and more reliable Ethernet you have connected. To be sure it's bridge, try unplugging the cable and seeing if that affects performance. If it gets slower, you're good.

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Don't use Extend - it only works with a WiFi connection between AEs.

7. hammie14 thread starter macrumors regular

hammie14

When I am upstairs with the second unit, it i unplug the pan cable i lose internet right away, then if i move downstairs it works again. I am guessing this is correct