AEBS, Netgear DM111P, OSX 10.5 and 10.3.9

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by weevil, Jan 4, 2008.

1. weevil macrumors newbie

Would the combination of Airport Extreme Base Station with Netgear DM111P ethernet modem, with two Macs (one with OSX 10.3.9 and on with OSX 10.5) work successfully as a network for file sharing (between macs), internet connection for both Macs and sharing one USB printer?

The documentation for AEBS states for OSX 10.4 and above. Would the 10.3.9 Mac be ok if it had a direct ethernet connection to the AEBS (and be able to connect to the internet)?

If not, what would be the best solution?

2. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I believe the need for 10.4 and above mainly applies to the software for configuring the router. Otherwise it follows all the TCP/IP/Ethernet standards. I'm not sure about the printer, though... does 10.3.9 support Bonjour for printer discovery?

3. weevil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me.

It looks like 10.3.9 is cups not Bonjour. I found this on the apple site:-

Any printers that you share using Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will be visible to other Macs on your local network that are running Mac OS X 10.2 or later.

Using printers being shared by other Macs
    When you add a printer in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, you will see printers on your local network that are being shared by other Macs running Mac OS X 10.4 or later. These printers will display "Bonjour Shared" in the Kind column of the dialog sheet.

Advanced: Accessing a printer in Leopard that's shared by Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9
    Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard uses Bonjour to locate shared printers on your local network, but it does not display printers shared by Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9 which are broadcast to the network using the "cups" protocol. The steps below will allow Mac OS X 10.5 to locate shared printers which are being announced to the network using the "cups" protocol:

1. Open Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities).

2. Type or paste this command, followed by Return:

cupsctl BrowseProtocols='"cups dnssd"'

The next time you add a printer, you should see printers shared by Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9. These printers will display "Shared Printer" in the Kind column. You may see printers shared by Mac OS X 10.4 or later appearing twice (once as a "Bonjour Shared" printer and once as a "Shared Printer") after completing these steps.

To revert back to the default behavior in Mac OS X 10.5, you can remove "BrowseProtocols dnssd cups" from the CUPS configuration file, or reset the printing system.

Note: Use the same printer driver version on the computer sharing the printer and the computer printing to the shared printer, to avoid a certain issue.

Do you think I could have the printer connected to the 10.3.9 Mac and access it from the 10.5 Mac over the network? Is there any chance the USB port could still be utilised on the Airport Extreme Base Station for the printer sharing for both Macs?