Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ault45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Delaware, OH
I just picked up a AEBS off ebay for $75. In my haste, I didnt look as closely as I usually do to the auction. When I won for that low of a price, I figured something was up. Turns out it is the older non gigabit N base station. My question is, is this a big deal for me? What is the difference? I want to network a usb printer, and a external hard drive. Other than that, all computers will be wireless. Thanks for your help.

ault45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Delaware, OH
Sweet. I had a little case of buyers remorse, but after I looked into it, the gigabit only affects computers hard wired. Is that right?

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
Yes. Although some testes have shown that it affects the throughput of the wireless as well, its marginal. Its a great router with excellent range.

Yeah, exactly. The 'backplane' in the router seems to be limited to 100 Mbps, so you can never get over 100 Mbps on a wireless connection, even though N theoretically supports it. In reality, that would almost never happen anyway.

Anyway, I've got the non-gigabit, and am completely happy. I was particularly happy that I didn't have to live with the buggy 7.2.x firmware like the gigabit folks. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.