AEBS on a company network (w/ Guest Feature)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by beatledud, Jan 6, 2010.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

We're looking to install 3 WAP in our new office. The alternative to a AEBS set up would be Cisco's WAP4410N WAP. It's a smaller office (about 35 people), but we'll be divided amongst three floors, so 3 separate devices. It's a PC server with mostly PC devices connecting to the wireless network.

I'd like to have an integrated wireless network, which I know the AEBS can do. I also like the dual-band function of the AEBS, since there are plenty of older machines that are used in the office. But what I really like about it is the Guest feature. Our clients are usually just allocated to one area (like conference rooms) in the past, but now they are somewhat dispersed through out. Having the Guest network extend everywhere that the Company network is would be great, and we wouldn't have to buy secondary WAPs to do this. However, the router/firewall function would have to be turned off on the AEBS so that our main DC was still handing out IPs, and I don't know if this or bridging the three AEBS together would remove the functionality of the Guest feature.

Anyone with any experience with this? And does anyone actually know how the Guest feature works?

2. bt22 macrumors 6502

I would recommend getting 1 AEBS and 2 Airport Express. The Airport Express are easier and better suited to run in bridge mode plus they are cheaper. You can set them (airport express) up to run as wireless or wired or both. Just my 2 cents.

3. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's something to consider, but I'm afraid with the AE it loses both the Guest Network and Dual Band functionality, correct?

Still doesn't answer my main question of running these in conjunction with a Company Network, and if that destroys the Guest login feature.

4. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Reviving this thread since I still haven't found an answer.

I need to know if I turn the AEBS into an Access Point, do I lose the Guest feature and it's ability to Bridge to other AEBS.